Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
who is using Wayland?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
lucinos Dec 5, 2019
So who is using wayland? I do not yet but I am really close to!

I have Arch/KDE and wayland is always just an option away in login. So I give it a try in every KDE release.

Wayland has come a long way from garbage (the first time I tried) to awful to bad and in KDE Plasma 5.17 is pretty good. It was the first time I was actually really thinking to just not return to X as I was seeing nothing really bad. The thing that made me go back one more time to X was that switching windows with alt-tab is not working properly (I can switch but I can't cycle).

Last edited by lucinos on 5 December 2019 at 11:21 am UTC
skyrrd Dec 5, 2019
If you use steam in-home streaming, Wayland is a no go. Also if you want to record your display with obs-studio.(not 100% sure if both points are still valid, as I have tried Wayland about 6 months ago)
Shmerl Dec 6, 2019
I tried, but there are major missing points so far, which prevents me from using it.

Adaptive sync is not supported at all yet:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/issues/84

Subsurfaces clipping issue in Kwin:
* https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313
* https://phabricator.kde.org/T10530

No Wacom tablets support yet.

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 December 2019 at 2:15 am UTC
skyrrd Dec 6, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlNo Wacom tablets support yet.

I can only speak about an intuos draw, but that did work for me for a long time on Wayland
Shmerl Dec 6, 2019
Quoting: skyrrdI can only speak about an intuos draw, but that did work for me for a long time on Wayland

In which compositors, and what about Cintiq tablets?

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 December 2019 at 8:27 am UTC
Samsai Dec 6, 2019
I've used Wayland as my primary desktop environment for over half a year and for me there haven't really been critical blockers. I'm using Sway and it's been stable and performant and generally everything I've needed has either worked or I've found alternatives for. I wrote a blog posts detailing my experiences back then.

Quoting: skyrrdIf you use steam in-home streaming, Wayland is a no go. Also if you want to record your display with obs-studio.(not 100% sure if both points are still valid, as I have tried Wayland about 6 months ago)

In-home streaming might still be broken but I don't use that so to me it doesn't matter. As for OBS, depending on your Wayland compositor there are ways to capture the screen. For Sway and wlroots based compositors there is https://hg.sr.ht/~scoopta/wlrobs which uses a screen capture API specific to wlroots. On GNOME there are two APIs that allow screen capture and OBS plugins for both, but my testing showed them to be too slow for capturing games. But at least on Sway OBS has worked well enough that I've gone through over half a year of streaming without looking back.

Last edited by Samsai on 6 December 2019 at 8:46 am UTC
WorMzy Dec 6, 2019
I think I use plasma's wayland session on my laptop. It works well enough. On my gaming rig I use plasma's X session.
wvstolzing Dec 6, 2019
I might consider switching when there's at least minimal scripting support, as in X11 with libwnck (which is really easy to control via python bindings) or wmctrl (via the shell).

I'm aware that Wayland isn't as generous (?!) as X11 in this regard, and that we might never get an equivalent of xdotool, but still, I don't think the ability to move windows between workspaces from the commandline is too much to ask.

I *think* Sway exposes python objects for scripting; but having used i3, I'm not too eager to go back to a tiling wm -- not that I don't like the keyboard driven interface; to the contrary, the less I have to use the mouse, the better; but I think that xfce's build-in keyboard controls provide a more sane environment.
Shmerl Dec 6, 2019
For input at least, there is this: https://github.com/ReimuNotMoe/ydotool
GustyGhost Dec 8, 2019
I have been using Wayland for some months now. For the most part, if I were a normal user and nobody told my whether I was running X or Wayland, I wouldn't have been able to tell except that screen recording is not currently possible without dropping into an X session.

Also Star Ruler 2 will only launch under X for some reason. All other games that I've played seem to be fine through XWayland.
Shmerl Dec 8, 2019
Wasn't screen recording supposed to be handled under Wayland by Pipewire? What's the story with that project?

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 December 2019 at 7:00 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.