Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
  Go to:
who is using Wayland?
lucinos commented on 5 December 2019 at 10:48 am UTC

So who is using wayland? I do not yet but I am really close to!

I have Arch/KDE and wayland is always just an option away in login. So I give it a try in every KDE release.

Wayland has come a long way from garbage (the first time I tried) to awful to bad and in KDE Plasma 5.17 is pretty good. It was the first time I was actually really thinking to just not return to X as I was seeing nothing really bad. The thing that made me go back one more time to X was that switching windows with alt-tab is not working properly (I can switch but I can't cycle).

Last edited by lucinos on 5 December 2019 at 11:21 am UTC

skyrrd commented on 5 December 2019 at 6:25 pm UTC

If you use steam in-home streaming, Wayland is a no go. Also if you want to record your display with obs-studio.(not 100% sure if both points are still valid, as I have tried Wayland about 6 months ago)

Shmerl commented on 6 December 2019 at 2:12 am UTC

I tried, but there are major missing points so far, which prevents me from using it.

Adaptive sync is not supported at all yet:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/issues/84

Subsurfaces clipping issue in Kwin:
* https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313
* https://phabricator.kde.org/T10530

No Wacom tablets support yet.

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 December 2019 at 2:15 am UTC

skyrrd commented on 6 December 2019 at 8:22 am UTC

ShmerlNo Wacom tablets support yet.

I can only speak about an intuos draw, but that did work for me for a long time on Wayland

Shmerl commented on 6 December 2019 at 8:26 am UTC

skyrrdI can only speak about an intuos draw, but that did work for me for a long time on Wayland

In which compositors, and what about Cintiq tablets?

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 December 2019 at 8:27 am UTC

Samsai commented on 6 December 2019 at 8:45 am UTC

I've used Wayland as my primary desktop environment for over half a year and for me there haven't really been critical blockers. I'm using Sway and it's been stable and performant and generally everything I've needed has either worked or I've found alternatives for. I wrote a blog posts detailing my experiences back then.

skyrrdIf you use steam in-home streaming, Wayland is a no go. Also if you want to record your display with obs-studio.(not 100% sure if both points are still valid, as I have tried Wayland about 6 months ago)

In-home streaming might still be broken but I don't use that so to me it doesn't matter. As for OBS, depending on your Wayland compositor there are ways to capture the screen. For Sway and wlroots based compositors there is https://hg.sr.ht/~scoopta/wlrobs which uses a screen capture API specific to wlroots. On GNOME there are two APIs that allow screen capture and OBS plugins for both, but my testing showed them to be too slow for capturing games. But at least on Sway OBS has worked well enough that I've gone through over half a year of streaming without looking back.

Last edited by Samsai on 6 December 2019 at 8:46 am UTC

raneon commented on 6 December 2019 at 10:59 am UTC

I use Plasma Wayland on all my systems and I need to switch to X11 extremely seldom. All my games work fine with VSync enabled, without there might be visible stutters (hopefully we will see soon a new XWayland release). My main issue is the mentioned surface clipping of Plasma. Firefox works quite well on Wayland now, except for copy and paste issues in Plasma. Kmail is in an very poor state, I open it only from time to time to see that it doesn't work at all ;-) Sadly home streaming doesn't work in Steam yet, there seems to be no activity by Valve so far to improve this.

From my point of view Plasma Wayland could work quite well for most of the users, if they would start to address the annoying issues like the alt-tab problem caused by an activated Num-lock or remaining instabilities of Plasma. I really hope that KDE starts to push Wayland, it brings so many benefits. X11 is a security nightmare as every application has always access to all screen output and all input.

From my point of view it would be great if the monthly statistic on GamingOnLinux would start to track Wayland adoption!

Last edited by raneon on 6 December 2019 at 11:02 am UTC

WorMzy commented on 6 December 2019 at 3:47 pm UTC

I think I use plasma's wayland session on my laptop. It works well enough. On my gaming rig I use plasma's X session.

wvstolzing commented on 6 December 2019 at 9:05 pm UTC

I might consider switching when there's at least minimal scripting support, as in X11 with libwnck (which is really easy to control via python bindings) or wmctrl (via the shell).

I'm aware that Wayland isn't as generous (?!) as X11 in this regard, and that we might never get an equivalent of xdotool, but still, I don't think the ability to move windows between workspaces from the commandline is too much to ask.

I *think* Sway exposes python objects for scripting; but having used i3, I'm not too eager to go back to a tiling wm -- not that I don't like the keyboard driven interface; to the contrary, the less I have to use the mouse, the better; but I think that xfce's build-in keyboard controls provide a more sane environment.

Shmerl commented on 6 December 2019 at 9:10 pm UTC

For input at least, there is this: https://github.com/ReimuNotMoe/ydotool

GustyGhost commented on 8 December 2019 at 6:47 pm UTC

I have been using Wayland for some months now. For the most part, if I were a normal user and nobody told my whether I was running X or Wayland, I wouldn't have been able to tell except that screen recording is not currently possible without dropping into an X session.

Also Star Ruler 2 will only launch under X for some reason. All other games that I've played seem to be fine through XWayland.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Sneaky Beaky: „HITMAN“
  • Shots Fired: „Saints Row: The Third“
  • Story Time: „Trüberbrook“
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts