Is the "Linux Gamer" disappearing?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Cyril Dec 14, 2019
Quoting: Philip_FairchildThere might be a nice boost of users since Win7 will drop support next year.

I wouldn't count on it... Probably most of the Win7 users will end up buying Win10, or even stay on an unsupported OS (Win7)... and in the end maybe a few of them will change to Linux.
But maybe I'm wrong!
MeanOldBoomer Dec 14, 2019
Honestly, I'm much less of a 'Linux Gamer' than I used to be. I've used Linux in one form or another as my main OS for nearing 20 years now, though often had a windows install for games.
These days I have a headless gaming PC that I game with using Parsec, it works for me, but in an ideal world I'd happily use Linux for that PC too, it's just that a lot of the games I like to play have anti-cheat stuff that requires windows...if only because the developers don't let it work with Wine/Proton :(
Salvatos Dec 15, 2019
Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: Philip_FairchildThere might be a nice boost of users since Win7 will drop support next year.

I wouldn't count on it... Probably most of the Win7 users will end up buying Win10, or even stay on an unsupported OS (Win7)... and in the end maybe a few of them will change to Linux.
But maybe I'm wrong!
Baby steps :) There are always people who need that final nudge to make the switch or tell themselves "this will be my last Windows." And every time a Windows version is deprecated, the Linux ecosystem is stronger than before* and makes a more attractive replacement.

* (Though there are areas that aren’t changing much or are falling behind.)
Cyril Dec 15, 2019
Quoting: Salvatos
Quoting: Cyril

But maybe I'm wrong!
Baby steps :) There are always people who need that final nudge to make the switch or tell themselves "this will be my last Windows." And every time a Windows version is deprecated, the Linux ecosystem is stronger than before* and makes a more attractive replacement.

* (Though there are areas that aren’t changing much or are falling behind.)

I know some people who bought an Apple laptop thinking that was/is a better product than Windows. :P
Liam Dawe Dec 15, 2019
I do doubt any Windows 7 refugees will come over to Linux, not enough of a compelling reason unless they're already thinking on it.
Gryxx Dec 15, 2019
Quoting: Liam DaweI do doubt any Windows 7 refugees will come over to Linux, not enough of a compelling reason unless they're already thinking on it.
Mee to. It's more likely that they move to Windows 10, and "convert" only after experiencing it. And probably minority at best.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.