Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Should I switch?
Philip_Fairchild Dec 13, 2019
I've been using Linux for years now and have tried a ton of distros. I'm gaming on Linux full time now and using Pop!_OS. I see some people using Manjaro and I've used it and Arch in the past. Is there anything that gives Manjaro an edge over Pop? Manjaro probably has more up to date software but in pop 20.4 were getting Flatpak support built in.

Does Manjaro have Vulkan already installed? Does Nvidia Optimus work right off the rip? Right now everything works perfect on my laptop right after install with no tweaks needed?

TL;DR. Convince me to switch from Pop to Manjaro.
Cyril Dec 13, 2019
My question is: why you would switch to Manjaro if everything works fine for you with Pop!_OS?

Last edited by Cyril on 13 December 2019 at 4:45 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Dec 13, 2019
Quoting: CyrilMy question is: why you would switch to Manjaro if everything works fine for you with Pop!_OS?
Bingo: If things work for you, stay on what does. If you want to tinker and play, stick it on a live USB and try it on that directly.
Plintslîcho Dec 13, 2019
What has been said already- why would you want others to tell you, which distribution you should use. (Rhetorical question, hence no question mark.)

You could always give Manjaro a try, either as live system or as a virtual machine. If you like what you see and think it's worth the change, do it. If you feel more comfortable with Pop or feel like anything is missing from Manjaro that you like on Pop, stay with it.

Any way, only you can decide, which distribution suits your needs and preferences best.
furaxhornyx Dec 14, 2019
Quoting: Philip_FairchildI've been using Linux for years now and have tried a ton of distros. I'm gaming on Linux full time now and using Pop!_OS. I see some people using Manjaro and I've used it and Arch in the past. Is there anything that gives Manjaro an edge over Pop? Manjaro probably has more up to date software but in pop 20.4 were getting Flatpak support built in.

Well, the reason why I switched to Manjaro is that, with Cinnamon, it looks a lot like Windows 7 (which, as you may know, will be discontinued in January), so I choose it as to not be completely lost when I made the switch to Linux a few months ago :)

I did try Pop OS, but the interface got me completely lost (I think it looks a bit more like Mac OS ?).

Sometimes, it is just a question of preferences and user-friendliness, over out-of-the-box experience. I mean, AUR repository make it easy for someone like me to install most of the software (like Skype, for example), without having to download the .tar.gz files and cast some obscure command-lines in that dreaded Terminal :P

As the other said, if everything is working for you, and you are comfortable with Pop OS, you don't really need to switch to anything else.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.