Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
New Biome Generator
Beemer Aug 29, 2013
@Jeb Tweeted: Biome map tweaks, now with more oceans: New Biome Generator

Personally - I think this a terrible idea.  Huge, *seemingly* infinite oceans add a real sense adventure to the game.  The new generator just makes the world looked crammed/cluttered.

I'd like to see an option to generate with or without the infinite oceans or, better yet, a slider that lets you chooses a variation (0 being like the new generator oceans, or 100 being the current oceans).

I really like exploring the oceans.  I love finding an island and building on it for the challenge (small amount of starting resources and such).  Also, finding the mooshroom islands in such large oceans makes it a real find. 

I've seen someone suggest "well, you can just play on the old version if you want the big oceans".  That's not actually practical though.  If I don't play on newer versions, I don't get any bug fixes, any new features at all, and it would severely limit the servers I could play on (since most would update).

Given what's happened to boats:

increased breakablity (tissue paper hulls by notch, just before final release)
severely decreased maneuverability (1.6.x)
and now, severely decreased need for boats (looks like almost all the land is connected)

I'm beginning to wonder if Jeb has a dislike for boats.

What's everyone else think about this?

Beemer
Levi Sep 2, 2013
I like the new biomes, more stuff to explorer. But I have to agree that boats are getting nerfed hard. Maybe because they are too buggy and a pain in the pass the're just removing them one bit a time.
I travelling oceans, after boating for an hour or two you can bet any land you find will be new an undiscovered.
SteamPenguin Sep 2, 2013
New Biomes are great but smaller oceans are not, better boats is what we need really.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.