Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
GTA V Freezing? MacBook Air
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Neo Feb 11, 2020
Hi all,
I have a MacBook Air (I know, it is shit). I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 on it. I have 4 GB of Ram, core i5 5th generation and Intel HD 6000 integrated graphics. I am trying to use Steam Play to play Grand Theft Auto 5 on my laptop. After installing some fonts, it started right up and worked quite well. When running the benchmarks I was getting 24-30 FPS. However, every few seconds the game would freeze for 2-3 seconds before resuming. It is like the game paused. This is very frustrating. Furthermore, many assets fail to load after playing for a while. I can't even get passed the first mission "Franklin and Lamar" without the game freezing then crashing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I switch OS? I am using Proton 5.0. Am I just destined to this bad gaming experience until I buy a new laptop?
Thanks! Have a nice day!
whizse Feb 11, 2020
Running out of memory? The minimum requirement for the game is 4GB and there's usually some overhead with Proton and DXVK.

The stuttering might be shaders compiling and usually improves after a while (when all shaders are cached).

The Intel GPU might be a source of trouble too, not sure if it's at all supported by DXVK these days.

Might be worth a try to run the game with DX10 instead of 11.
Xpander Feb 11, 2020
4GB of RAM these days... just no for games like these. Its probably using swap like crazy and freezing because of that

edit: also i think your integrated GPU takes some RAM away from system for its use

Last edited by Xpander on 11 February 2020 at 10:45 am UTC
ageres Feb 11, 2020
I think it's CPU overheating and throttling. Could you look at the thermal sensors?
Quoting: Xpander4GB of RAM these days... just no for games like these.
GTA V was made for consoles with 512 MB RAM only. It has 4 GB as its min system requirements on Steam.
Neo Feb 11, 2020
Hmmm... That would make sense... I will check the thermal sensors when I have a chance... it is rather hot to touch when GTA V is open. Thanks!
Avehicle7887 Feb 11, 2020
I think that system is a bit too weak for this game, for all the reasons that others have mentioned. One thing I noticed OP didn't mention is the resolution, which plays an important role in low end systems.

As for Intel's Vulkan driver on Linux, I can speak from personal experience that it's not as bad as it used to be, I tested with games such as The Witcher 3, Darksiders 3 and Guild Wars 2. They all ran without graphics issues but the performance in the first 2 titles was far from playable.
Neo Feb 11, 2020
I see... I have not installed DXVK... would that help? What software would be good to monitor thermal throttling?
Thanks!
ageres Feb 11, 2020
Quoting: NeoI have not installed DXVK... would that help?
You don't have to, Proton already has it.
Quoting: NeoWhat software would be good to monitor thermal throttling?
psensor
Neo Feb 12, 2020
Cool, thanks everyone... Does the fact that it can run at 24-30 FPS sometimes suggest that it might not be a hardware problem?
DefaultX-od Feb 12, 2020
Quoting: NeoCool, thanks everyone... Does the fact that it can run at 24-30 FPS sometimes suggest that it might not be a hardware problem?

Did you tried valve's fsync patch?
For me it helped with Ben and Ed blood party. The game was freezing just like yours, and I installed valve's kernel, and it stoped. Right now i'm on xanmod kernel(don't know if fsync is enabled by default).
I waneted to try GTA V on my laptop to see if there are any hags on my laptop, but when I saw 90GB download, I stoped..

My laptop config:

CPU: Intel Core i3-7130 2.70GHz x4

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620

RAM: 3,7 GIB
Xpander Feb 12, 2020
Quoting: ageresGTA V was made for consoles with 512 MB RAM only. It has 4 GB as its min system requirements on Steam.

console and pc aren't same. and minimum specs are bullshit, we are talking about small overhead from using proton also + the IGP is using system ram for its use also. not saying it can't be anything else, but the poster doesnt even give info how much hes system is being used while in the game. GPU usage, CPU usage, RAM usage, temps etc
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.