Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Are user accounts set to private perhaps somewhat too private?
damarrin Feb 13, 2020
I remember Liam writing somewhere that all newly created accounts are set to private now. Fair enough.

But I’m not sure some of the info shouldn’t be visible anyway.

As far as I can tell, if someone is private the block/ignore option doesn’t even appear.

Plus, I see no reason to block when someone registered or their posting history.

These don’t have to be visible to anyone, but logged in users should see them, if only to judge if someone is worthy of getting a steam code.

As it stands now, the privacy settings promote bots and spam accounts.
Liam Dawe Feb 13, 2020
You're right, it was a bit overly private which wasn't intentional.

I've adjusted it now so for anyone logged in, you can still get the block/unblock option and their username + group badges at least which will show if they're a new user as they have a badge to say that for 7 days.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 13 February 2020 at 1:47 pm UTC
WorMzy Feb 13, 2020
It seems odd to hide the "findable on" section when those are displayed under the user's avatar in every post they make anyway.

If a user has set their profile to private, should these icons not be shown? Or should the user filling out the fields be taken as consent that they want this information shown on their profile?
Salvatos Feb 13, 2020
Quoting: WorMzyOr should the user filling out the fields be taken as consent that they want this information shown on their profile?
That seems sensible, although I can see someone moving between public and private on occasions (giveaways or wanting to start a private conversation seem like plausible temporary switch scenarios) and not wanting to remove/add that info each time. Or just going from public to private and assuming that it hides everything without having to remove it manually.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.