Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Is Pinup Ball simply too tame, for a big userbase?
highStrangeness Feb 19, 2020
(This is my first post here)

Recently, the unusual strip pinball game, Pinup Ball (which I have been watching for sometime now) has been finally released - after a year's delay, even.

However, there has been a fair amount of criticism towards the game so far, with about 1/3rd of the reviews being negative. The game is in early access still, though, so that might be one reason why. I posted a longer message about all this on the Facebook page, so here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/gamingonlinux/posts/2931516930248234

Basically, I think the game may be too tame to draw much attention, and that's limiting its userbase.

Here's the link to Steam (as it's NSFW, you need to be logged in to see this):

Pinup Ball on Steam

And, my review:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198078806215/recommended/904900?snr=1_5_9__402

In another review (in a reply), another user was arguing that the game is just a gimmick, with the nudity. Well, I think that's the case, but it's not a bad gimmick, really. I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept itself, but the execution needs some work.
Cyba.Cowboy Apr 13, 2020
Firstly, the chicks in that game aren't even hot, not even a little bit... Secondly, it's Steam - like it or not, there's a hard line as to just how "sexy" a game can be.

And ultimately, the overwhelming majority are not going to buy this game for its gameplay... The vast majority of people are going to buy it for a game that offers eye candy first, and a compelling game second.

I have loads of "sexy" games on my Sony PlayStation 4 Pro and you know what, the only ones I (primarily) play for the gameplay are the Dead or Alive "beach" games and the (regular) Dead or Alive games (true story!)... The rest of my "sexy" are games that I play once or twice for the eye candy, and then I never play them again or only play them again when I'm especially bored.

If this game wants to sell a few more copies, they're going to need to turn up the quality massively and if they decide they want to offer actual nudity, they might need to consider another store that permits this...
tuubi Apr 13, 2020
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyIf this game wants to sell a few more copies, they're going to need to turn up the quality massively and if they decide they want to offer actual nudity, they might need to consider another store that permits this...
Just FYI, Steam does permit nudity these days.
Cyba.Cowboy Apr 13, 2020
Well there you go... They never used to.

Either way, the point remains - people usually buy these games for the "fan service" - not the gameplay - and they're going to need an awful lot more "fan service", by the look of things.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.