Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Looking for a game for Mother (74)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dax Tailor Feb 20, 2020
Hi everyone,
I recently watched a short video on youtube about older people playing computer games and why this is good for there brain (memory). There is a medical study about this. It looks like by playing computer games our brain creates new neurons.

What I'm looking for now is a game which:
1. Native Linux support (yes my mom is using linux on her PC).
2. Has to be 3D.
3. No violence or at least a mode to switch it off. So every 1st person shooter is of the table.
4. If possible not story driven, so a huge lot of RPG and adventure game are of the list.
5. Should run on an Intel GPU (of cause that is a bit hard to come up with a 3D game for that low end GPU. If she likes the game I will buy a new graphic card or PC for her.)

The only game I come up with is minecraft. Maybe Cities Skylines? Not sure that counts as 3D in the sense of the medical study. I'm not sure the old Thief games are counting as 'no violence' (€7,- on steam but windows only).

Any idea?
Thanks.
Pangaea Feb 20, 2020
No Doom? :D

Would Stardew Valley be suitable? There are RPG elements, sort of, but it's essentially a farming game. Not your typical 3D game, but I would think it could be fun for older people as well.

Edit: Possibly some options here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/26/best-non-violent-games/

Last edited by Pangaea on 20 February 2020 at 8:21 pm UTC
tuxintuxedo Feb 20, 2020
One game that came to mind is Slime Rancher. Although there is a story, but it's not that important. And it has a lot of depth. The game is for all ages.
Megaquarium also needs a lot of thinking.
With Proton, you have a lot more games available through Steam, without tinkering directly with Wine. Banished is a nice one too.
Intel Haswell here.
Salvatos Feb 20, 2020
Also curious about the 3D thing. There are similar studies about doing crosswords...

Your criteria seem to be limiting us mostly to 3D puzzle games, racing games and simulators. All kinds of digital board games would probably fit the bill too, although the three-dimensional aspect is more visual than spatial in that case.

I guess The Talos Principle’s story can be ignored easily to focus on the puzzles. No idea if it runs on Intel GPUs.
Koopacabras Feb 21, 2020
Epistory Typing Chronicles is a nice game with some nice poetry, but you need to know how to type with all fingers.

Shadwen, also it's a nice game, stealth like, but if you consider stabbing with a knife violent, then no, but there is no blood or gore or anything like that.

I think both games are like short, and casual.
But I think in both of them there is some story, but it's just not relevant, you could just skip all the story .

Last edited by Koopacabras on 21 February 2020 at 5:33 am UTC
-Daniel-Palacio- Feb 21, 2020
I can think of these possible games; they're very different between each other:

• Clustertruck: A first person platformer. I didn't play it, but I know it's comical. GOL article here.

• Deadcore: An excellent but unfairly forgotten sci-fi first person platformer. The only violence is you desintegrating repeteadly, because it's extremely difficult; you need a lot of persistence and determination to beat it. Also it can cause vertigo. Here's some gameplay.

• FOTONICA: A first person runner with minimalistic aesthetics. Steam store page here.

• Heavy Bullets: A first person rogue-like. Steam store page here.

• Hocus Pocus Doom: A Doom Total Conversion, based on a platformer from the 90's. Cartoonish violence. You'll need a port to play it. Here's a video. Although I'm planning to write an article about it in a couple of months, for the moment I didn't have time to try it.

• Kairo: Solve puzzles in a mysterious alternate dimension. First person perspective. You're always alone, so there is no violence. Steam store page here.

• NO THING: An obscure psychedelic runner. Steam store page here.

• Serious Sam 3 BFE: While the first thing you may think is "Didn't I say 'no violence'?" you might want to check this official video. I don't recall if the HD versions of the previous titles have these options.

• Super 3-D Noah's Ark: This one uses the Wolfenstein 3D engine, but in terms of gameplay is much easier. Also, although I didn't finish it, it seems to be pretty respectful, with no offensive content. This is the Steam store page.

I'm sure there are more titles, some of them incredibly obvious, but for the moment I remember these ones. Another option was "A Story about my Uncle", but you requested a title without a detailed story. As for "Warfork", last time I checked there was an option to play against bots if she doesn't like multiplayer.

I hope one of them fits your requirements...
furaxhornyx Feb 21, 2020
Quoting: SunburstClustertruck: A first person platformer. I didn't play it, but I know it's comical. GOL article here.

I have seen some gameplay videos of the game (I didn't play it myself either), but it might be a bit difficult game (timed jumps, good reflexes,...)

Quoting: tuxintuxedoOne game that came to mind is Slime Rancher. Although there is a story, but it's not that important. And it has a lot of depth. The game is for all ages.

+1 for Slime Rancher, the game is cute and addictive.

A few more suggestions:
  • Two Point Hospital is a hospital managing game, alike Theme Hospital and stuff.

• Now, it depends on how you rate death of cartoonish characters (aka "you can die in Mario, too"), but Life Goes On is a fun puzzle game.

• Maybe have a look at Trine series / Portal series ?

• If Proton is an option, then maybe have a look at FAR: Lone sails (rated gold on Protondb, it is kinda story driven but linear (you simply go from left to right, with occasional puzzles), so you cannot be "locked" out of the story, unlike RPGs and adventure games.

Warning: as for running on an Intel GPU, I am sorry but I have no idea on how it would perform vs the minimum requirements...
lucinos Feb 21, 2020
The obvious suggestion is Portal

Quoting: Dax TailorHi everyone,
yes
Quote2. Has to be 3D.
yes
Quote3. No violence or at least a mode to switch it off. So every 1st person shooter is of the table.
yes
Quote4. If possible not story driven, so a huge lot of RPG and adventure game are of the list.
yes
Quote5. Should run on an Intel GPU (of cause that is a bit hard to come up with a 3D game for that low end GPU. If she likes the game I will buy a new graphic card or PC for her.)
yes!

although you should say which Intel GPU, if it a very-very old one maybe not. But it does run well even on an intel HD 4400.

Talos Principle is heavier than Portal but it will also run in an acceptable way on an intel GPU. (but not on high settings)

On intel HD 4400 do not even try Proton, I do not know how it plays with more recent intel.

Last edited by lucinos on 21 February 2020 at 3:48 pm UTC
tuxintuxedo Feb 21, 2020
As I mentioned, I have Haswell. It should have HD 4400 and I haven't encountered any major problems with the games I tried through Proton (through Steam).
dvd Feb 22, 2020
Quoting: Dax TailorHi everyone,
I recently watched a short video on youtube about older people playing computer games and why this is good for there brain (memory). There is a medical study about this. It looks like by playing computer games our brain creates new neurons.

What I'm looking for now is a game which:
2. Has to be 3D.
3. No violence or at least a mode to switch it off. So every 1st person shooter is of the table.
4. If possible not story driven, so a huge lot of RPG and adventure game are of the list.
5. Should run on an Intel GPU (of cause that is a bit hard to come up with a 3D game for that low end GPU. If she likes the game I will buy a new graphic card or PC for her.)

The only game I come up with is minecraft. Maybe Cities Skylines? Not sure that counts as 3D in the sense of the medical study. I'm not sure the old Thief games are counting as 'no violence' (€7,- on steam but windows only).

Any idea?
Thanks.

I think Minecraft is the perfect choice. She will probably enjoy the multiplayer aspect more where she has a chance to chat with people while playing the game.
denyasis Feb 23, 2020
Bridge constructor?

I seem to remember a performer that would let you rotate the level, was it Bastion, Fez? I can't remember.

Would some of the old puzzle games (Myst series) fit?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.