Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Problem with running Ubuntu.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
kibasnowpaw Feb 23, 2020
i don't know if this is the right place. But i have a problem to get Ubuntu 19.X to run smoothly on my pc i have it installed on my laptop, and it run fine. It has no problem gaming or anything, but my pc doesn't seem to want to play nice. When i do thing on my pc its take times its also like the muse it slow to react and if i start a game on steam that use DX11 then i get an error saying this game need DX11 Level 10 from what i could find it may be because of the GPU driver i have tried to manually install the driver from Nvidia, but that didn't help. So i want to know how i may fix my problem. i may reinstall ubuntu to make sure the installation is done right. Also, those game i can Play sims to have a lower FPS then my laptop even if its a better machine.

You can follow what i did in my Live Streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fwbgornMak&list=PLjgxduUUWN8jpRiLT-2SzDBeWrtjdaYz3

You are welcome to comment under the Video with timestamps, so i know what you talk about.

My PC Spec
★ Processor: i7-5820K 3.30GHz.
★ GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB.
★ MB: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME S2011v3.
★ Ram: 32GB DDR4
★ SDD: 447GB KINGSTON SV300S37A480G .
★ SDD: SSD 120GB PNY CS900.
tuxintuxedo Feb 23, 2020
On Ubuntu there is a menu to install Nvidia drivers (closed source drivers). Manually downloading from Nvidia and installing it is not recommended. What is your current driver and does it even work? Is everything okay in Nvidia settings?
Also, secureboot is known to make problems for closed drivers (including Nvidia).
On a sidenote: for a long-lasting system LTS versions are recommended.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 23 February 2020 at 10:00 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Feb 23, 2020
Sounds like a GPU driver problem. Never use the NVIDIA installer, always use the packages made for your distribution.
DefaultX-od Feb 24, 2020
Maybe you can try beta vulkan driver from here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver
kibasnowpaw Feb 24, 2020
When I get home from work, I gonna try to reinstall Ubuntu. I couldn't open the Nvidia settings. It came with an error, and it was running bad, so that's why I decided to manually install it. It did the same on V.18 That's why I Upgraded to V.19 also V19.X running like a dream on my laptop, so I just think it weird it doesn't work on my pc since its more or less the same GPU it just the TI version of the same GPU. Like I said, I could try my GTX 1080 to see if that Driver maybe works better If it still fails after reinstalling Ubuntu, it can just be that the Driver for that GPU doesn't work well. Is there anyone using a GTX 1050 TI on Ubuntu that may clarify that.
Xpander Feb 24, 2020
1050Ti and 1080 have the same Driver and those GPUs are same pascal GPUs.
I bet something just went whoopsie on the driver install, lost internet connection or whatever, so it didnt install everything.
damarrin Feb 24, 2020
Quoting: kibasnowpawIs there anyone using a GTX 1050 TI on Ubuntu that may clarify that.

I have a 1050 Ti on Ubuntu and it runs perfectly. But, like Xpander said, it's the exact same driver for the 1080 and the 1050. You can take out one and put in the other and the system will boot and work OK.

Like others have said, use the Ubuntu proprietary drivers program to install the driver. It works fine, unlike the installer from Nvidia's website which, when I tried it last, required the jumping of the hoops.

Last edited by damarrin on 24 February 2020 at 1:46 pm UTC
Redface Feb 24, 2020
IF you go for reinstalling Ubuntu then make sure you get 19.10 (19.04 is end of live and you would have to upgrade to 19.10 right away) and choose Install third-party software for graphics and wifi hardware and additional media formats.
It comes just after the keyboard selection and will install the proprietary nvidia driver. You do not need a PPA any more if you can wait for the newest a while, both 430 and 435 are available now and 440 should come soon.
tuxintuxedo Feb 24, 2020
Don't know if they changed something, but third-party software during install mostly meant some codecs previously. Would be strange if it installed the closed Nvidia driver for an Intel only or AMD computer.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 24 February 2020 at 4:51 pm UTC
Redface Feb 24, 2020
Quoting: tuxintuxedoDon't know if they changed something, but third-party software during install mostly meant some codecs previously. Would be strange if it installed the closed Nvidia driver for an Intel only or AMD computer.

Its been in since 19.04 https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/11/ubuntu-19-04-release-features
and it does it only when the checkmark is set and a nvidia GPU is detected.
And since 19.10 the drivers are on the iso, 19.04 had to download it. https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/09/ubuntu-19-10-beta-download

Last edited by Redface on 24 February 2020 at 5:19 pm UTC
tuxintuxedo Feb 24, 2020
Thanks, good to know. As I stick to LTS releases I haven't noticed this change.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.