Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Linux Game Publishing website archive has been published
gbudny Feb 29, 2020
Hi

I would like to inform you that LGP published their website archive and below you can see the original news:

"LGP website archived.
The Linux Game Publishing website archive has been published. We thank you for your support."

https://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/
Liam Dawe Feb 29, 2020
Now that's a blast from the past.
gbudny Feb 29, 2020
The good news is that we can now download updates and demos using the torrent client.

However. I know that are people that have digital versions of games, and their DRM allowed owners of these specific games to download .iso images, which was awesome.
Personally, I would like to have access to this functionality because it was a great way to have a backup copy for games like Sacred, Shadowgrounds, Jets'n'Guns, X3: Reunion, and so on

I hope that that maybe they will be able to solve this issue.

What are your favorite games published by LGP?

Personally, I always like to play in Cold war and Sacred.
Hamish Mar 1, 2020
If they could just pull the DRM and get on something like itch.io that would be great.
gbudny Mar 1, 2020
@Hamish
They used DRM only in a few games, and most of these specific titles are available on Steam for Linux.

Steam:

Jets'n'Guns
Shadowgrounds
Shadowgrounds Survivor
X3: Reunion

DRM by title
Title Box version Digital version
Ballistics No None
Ballistics (r2) None Yes
Jets'n'Guns Yes Yes
Majesty Gold No None
Majesty Gold (r2) Yes Yes
Sacred: Gold Edition Yes Yes
Shadowgrounds Yes Yes
Shadowgrounds Survivor Yes Yes
X2: The Threat No None
X2: The Threat (r2) None Yes
X3: Reunion Yes Yes
X3: Reunion - Special Edition Yes None

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Game_Publishing

Personally, I didn't like what they did with Soul Ride or Mindrover, which has the Audio CD known as Mixed Mode CD, which made it even more complicated to prepare a backup copy of the game. This was a worse solution than DRM because their copy protection at least made it easier to create a backup copy - so you didn't have to use the original CD.

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_Mode_CD

Hyperion did the same thing with Shogo for Linux.

Do you know if itch.io requires having the Windows version of the game from companies for sale like Steam or GOG?
Hamish Mar 1, 2020
Quoting: gbudnyDo you know if itch.io requires having the Windows version of the game from companies for sale like Steam or GOG?
I highly doubt that itch.io has such a requirement. There are several Linux only games on itch.io right now.

Quoting: gbudnyPersonally, I didn't like what they did with Soul Ride or Mindrover, which has the Audio CD known as Mixed Mode CD, which made it even more complicated to prepare a backup copy of the game. This was a worse solution than DRM because their copy protection at least made it easier to create a backup copy - so you didn't have to use the original CD.
Maybe I am missing something, but all you have to do is rip it as a bin/cue pair rather than an iso file. I do this all the time with older game discs. It is not any more difficult when using something like Brasero.

Last edited by Hamish on 1 March 2020 at 6:17 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.