Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Black Mesa - bad performance
razing32 Mar 18, 2020
Decided to give Black Mesa a go
Game started normally , worked fine - until the train ride ended and I was in the game proper
Performance took a nose dive.
It is to stuttery to play.
Even trying to exit the game freezes it so i have to drop to a tty console to kill the proc
Mayb my machine is too weak ?
i5-7400 / Nvidia Gtx 770
jumbles83 Mar 19, 2020
If it helps, I'm running with the specs below (albeit at 720p med/low settings) getting a fairly stable 30fps with no major stuttering or crashes, so based on your PC info you should be good compared to mine in terms of performance:

KERNEL: 5.3.0-42-generic
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710MQ @ 2.50GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
GPU DRIVER: NVIDIA 440.64
RAM: 8 GB

It might also be worth joining the public beta in Steam (Black Mesa properties > Mesa > public beta), which I seem to recall joining due to various performance related issues/crashes in Early Access.

I'm currently on the Xen chapter as I've been playing this a while on and off (24hrs total playthrough but only 1hr after the full release of the game).
razing32 Mar 20, 2020
I tried your advice
Beta subscription did help - a bit
But after a while of playing it got stuttery again
:(
s8as8a Mar 20, 2020
Do you have any mods installed? I generally see advice on the Black Mesa Steam forums to uninstall those.

Have you tried reinstalling the game and/or verifying the integrity of the game files?

P.S.
I have yet to play the game myself, so I don't have first-hand experience with running the game.

Last edited by s8as8a on 20 March 2020 at 9:51 am UTC
razing32 Mar 20, 2020
No , no mods whatsoever.
Tried integrity check - no issues there.
Sputnik_tr_02 Mar 20, 2020
I am getting slightly better performance by playing the windows version with proton, you should give it a try.
You need to set the following launch option to get it working tough;

%command% -oldgameui
s8as8a Mar 21, 2020
Quoting: razing32No , no mods whatsoever.
Tried integrity check - no issues there.
Maybe it's just one graphical feature you're enabling that's causing the slowdown (possibly because of using software rendering) (and it happens to not be in the beginning train part)? Have you tried turning them all on the lowest possible settings and then increasing them one by one (while you're at the part that causes stuttering for you)? I know it's annoying, but it might help you find the problem.

Last edited by s8as8a on 21 March 2020 at 1:50 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.