Would you like to get any RSS feed by email?
omicron-b Mar 24, 2020
Now you can*
(* if you have a Linux server, or a Raspberry Pi)

I am learning Python (feedback is welcome!) and made a script for myself: use RSS feed to generate email notifications.
This would work for any website that has an RSS feed, and for any number of websites.

How does it work:
1) you set up a cron job on a Linux machine that runs 24/7 to execute the script automatically (please, mind the load on the websites! I only query them twice per hour, do it often and you might get banned or get a nasty email from your ISP)
2) the script checks the latest post in every feed and saves it's timestamp on the first run
3) on the following runs, the script checks the timestamp of the latest post, and sends an email to you (example below) if the timestamp does not match

Subject: GamingOnLinux Latest Articles
Body:

Feed updated, latest post: NVIDIA Nsight Graphics 2020.2 is out, boosting Vulkan and Linux support further

Link: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/nvidia-nsight-graphics-20202-is-out-boosting-vulkan-and-linux-support-further.16282

Published: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:09:32 +0000

Cons:
  • You will miss a post when there has been more than one in half an hour. I may come up with an elegant solution later, but I like to keep emails short.

• It would not work out of the box with Gmail, because Gmail uses a glitchy authorization sequence, I will post a fix for Gmail in GitHub issues.

• Your email password is kept in plaintext. I use it on a secure server with email account that is only used for notifications, so I am safe here.

GitHub link

Last edited by omicron-b on 25 March 2020 at 8:04 am UTC
buono Mar 24, 2020
Or you could use telegram :)
omicron-b Mar 25, 2020
Thanks Liam, I did not see that

updated the title to "any RSS feed"

Last edited by omicron-b on 25 March 2020 at 8:05 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.