Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
What programming projects are you working on?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
nate Mar 31, 2020
Many of us are now are under quarantine, lock-down, or simply out of work due to the coronavirus pandemic – making this a useful opportunity to get work done on our programming projects. What projects are you working on right now? Share github links or videos if possible.

I will start… I have been working with JavaScript now as a hobby for about five years. Currently, all of the projects that I am working on are Electron apps (Electron is a framework allowing us to write desktop applications in JavaScript). Back in January, I pretty much finished up the video manager app and a diary-style text-editor program that I had been working on for some time. I then decided that I really needed to do something with a 3d engine, so being a JavaScript guy I went with Babylon.js…

Using Babylon.js, I have now made a blocky-looking 3d world generator Electron app and am currently adding the ability to fire “spells”, which at this point are just spheres, at objects in the world (no monsters/AI yet). I used the “raycasting” technique to make this work, but am still in the process of fine-tuning it. My next goal is to add an object into the world representing a monster that will chase you and fire spells (spheres) at you, so there will be a little fighting to make it more interesting. I also created a library of my own textures that I made from pictures on I took on nature hikes. It feels very cool to see my own texture art in my own 3d world for the first time. I would like to see this project eventually evolve into something that feels more like a game and not just a demonstration to myself on how to make something with the Babylon.js engine.
Dennis_Payne Mar 31, 2020
Bt Builder is an open source implementation of the Bard's Tale Construction Set. It has a lot more capabilities which allow it to implement more features of the Bard's Tale games than the construction set could.

Troll Bridge is a open source game like the original Legend of Zelda.

Color Monsters is a pokemon like game written for the Pocket Arcade.

Gamerzilla is a Hubzilla plugin to implement trophies/achievements in games. I've been disappointed with the adoption of Steam and want to give this capability to open source software.

This is not all of my projects but some that I hope to make more changes to soon.
whizse Apr 1, 2020
Nothing too exciting on this end. Some small scripts to add functionality to the mpv video player. Trying out Lua for the first time.

I'm also working my way through some Godot tutorials. It's quite a new experience to be so dependent on an IDE.
Lachu Apr 2, 2020
Bonsole
"Browser Console" - project, which aims how people write applications. Currently there's distinction between graphical (GUI) and text apps. There's also difference between GTK+, QT, etc. applications. Bonsole will allow developer to write once and user, theme and system vendors to change how applications looks. Also, Bonsole will bring semantics pipe, whereas user may asks application for output some object and use filter to select only few properties. Result will be sent to another app. Bonsole requires application vendor to use semantics (XML) data to create UI and to write XML into semantics pipe. Application must use libxml2.

Progress: Call to Power
Game based on Freeciv. I currently rewrite everything to nim language.

Sources of both projects are on sourceforge.net .

Last edited by Lachu on 2 April 2020 at 11:00 am UTC
Pangaea Apr 2, 2020
"Programming" feels like stretching it. But I have made a bash script that extracts game data from a 12 MB XML file, using arrays, sed and heaps of xmlstarlet. It was actually fun to get into it again, even if I'm just an amateur.
Samsai Apr 2, 2020
I've had this little game project in Rust and SDL2 going about bouncing projectiles into evil robots that I've been doing alongside my thesis. I've got most of the basics working, although it looks really ugly as everything is either programmer art (the bad kind) or placeholder.

Beyond that, some small bug fixes to the GOL IRC bot to get it to automatically reconnect if it drops the connection.
Ehvis Apr 5, 2020
Wanted to try and recreate the "physics" used in 7 Days to Die. Normally I would just do something that spits stuff on console, but I decided to combine it with learning a bit about Godot. So I built a rudimentary block building thingy with step one of the physics. Now for the part that I'm a little less clear on, how the game distributes the mass.

omicron-b Apr 12, 2020
I am learning Python3 and just rewrote from scratch a script that checks if my employer's 3 websites and 2 APIs are operational.
It is pure Python3 now, and for each website/API it accepts 1 error (either timeout or 404, empty reply, etc), waits 20 seconds and tries again, only on 2nd fail it raises alarm (by emailing me and colleagues).
Websites are joined in one email and APIs in another one
Each failure creates a "lockfile" that stops emails for that exact service but not for other ones, so we won't get spammed the whole night if no one fixes that.

My other "projects" (actually small scripts) in Python3: rss-mailer (notifications about RSS feeds by email), reminder (my personal calendar emailed to me daily when there are some reminders).

Quoting: Guestshort loading times in Torchlight

It seems Valve's Proton lost your patch somewhere along the way :)
That's why I asked them to whitelist Torchlight with Proton 3.7-8 specifically
damarrin Nov 1, 2020
I’ve been working on a new calendar system tailored to the specifics of the business I run in my free time since sometime last year.

We use Nextcloud with Thunderbird and Lightning as the calendar client and it was mostly ok, barring horrible performance from Lightning, especially when syncing the 10 or so calendars we have. A sync would take 2+ minutes and during that time the whole email app would be completely unresponsive. Even changing the currently displayed day would take a few seconds, when not syncing that is.

The issue became very pressing a few weeks ago when Thunderbird got updated to 78. Calendar is now much snappier, but unfortunately it now randomly fails to show some events and data from event comments usually just disappears after an edit and it’s really not possible to work like that.

So yesterday I managed to install the new calendar on our server and we’re going to start using it on Monday. It has less than half of the functionality I hope it will one day, but it’s complete enough to be useful. It has some features completely missing from a generic calendar that’ll make our work much, much easier.

I used Symfony, which I knew nothing about last year when I started and have now become quite proficient at. I like and hate it in equal measure. It makes some things very simple, but sometimes I’ll spend 10 hours on a single line of code banging my head against the wall and scouring the internet because the damn thing just doesn’t work for no reason.

I’m going to keep working on it ofc, but maybe a day of two a week instead of the constant crunch I’ve been doing the past two weeks. I might even play a game or two now ;-)

I have some little things to add today before the big debut tomorrow, I can’t wait to find out what data-destroying bugs I’ve managed to put in there.
inkhey Nov 1, 2020
Hello all,
I don't program a lot as a hobby because this is already my job, but i do recently updated my avatar generator: https://framagit.org/inkhey/pioupiou . It's just a python library allowing to generate avatar from multiple images and merge them into one. The other goal of the library is to be able to get always the same result image from the same configuration + text seed.

Also, i'm thinking about creating a proper lib to read mime-share-info xml database file and be able to get mimetype of a file from it. mime-share-info is the best existing mimetype database, as it can handle lot of exotic file, … With a simple tool to handle those xml file which is plateform agnostic, it will be really easy to have a software that can apply specific treatment to specific filetype.
Valck Nov 3, 2020
Quoting: inkheythinking about creating a proper lib to read mime-share-info xml database file and be able to get mimetype of a file from it
You probably know about this already, but if you haven't, you might want to look into
$ file --mime-type --mime-encoding ~/myRandomFile
first before you venture on that endeavour...

Last edited by Valck on 3 November 2020 at 9:33 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.