Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Linux "purchases" on Steam

Hi,

I'm wondering what exactly constitutes a "purchase" for Steam's statistics? I've won a few games through giveaways and I always make a point of spending time playing them during the week after they're added to my Steam account so that they're counted as Linux purchases.

However, looking at my account's list of licenses, some are listed as "Retail" and some are listed as "Complimentary". Also, my account's Purchase History is completely empty as I've always got keys elsewhere and never paid through Steam itself.

If I activate a key that was acquired elsewhere (possibly for free) and then play it for some time within the first week, does that count as a Linux purchase?

Thanks

Liam Dawe 4 Apr

Safest bet is just to make sure you load them up and play them a bit. On Linux.

Depending on the game, a lot have analytic stuff in them so developers can see the platforms actually playing too.

Liam Dawebet

I was hoping for an authoritative answer. Would you ask Valve? I've seen you've had communication with them before about Linux purchases, could you ask them about this?

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...