Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Computer startup woes
Pangaea Apr 14, 2020
Well, arse. A couple of sats ago my computer refuses to boot. Today I strippe it down and tried to figure out what was amiss. Rhere was no reaction, except that the CPU fan would spin for half a sec.

Bought a brand new psu a few months back due to the same issue, and it has worked fine since, so I found it hard to believe it was tits up already.

Looks like it's a harddisk. The system disk... It started up now with everything else hooked up. Not good news, but it could have been worse.

I want a New rig, but would preger to wait for AMD's new toys. Concerning that several parts went down in a few months. The psu was 11 years old so fair enough, but the ssd isn't that old. 2 years, maybe 3.

Horrible timing tho, with the quarantine.
Pangaea Apr 14, 2020
Sorry for the stupid spelling. Mobiles are all nuts.
Pangaea Apr 15, 2020
Swallowed my reply 😞

Brief: why does the pc refuse to boot when the busted harddisk has power from the mobo? Previously it has booted up, but I cant access the disk.
Dragunov Apr 28, 2020
I would take a good look at everything and make sure there are no shorts, pinched wires, or cut wires. Make sure everything is seated properly. Re-seat the Ram etc. I've never experienced a PC not booting simply from a bad HDD. There has to be something else going on.

You can also clear the CMOS, if you don't mind losing your BIOS/UEFI settings and see if that changes anything.

Maybe try putting the bad HDD in another computer as well, and see if the other PC boots with it.

Let us know if you figure anything out.

Also, its very rare, but i've even seen a case where it turned out the Power Cable from Wall to PSU was actually bad. Who would have guessed?

Last edited by Dragunov on 28 April 2020 at 5:58 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.