Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Doom 3 BFG
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
killx_den Sep 25, 2013
I didn't find any post about it yet on the GoL forum so I think this might be interesting :)

There is a native version for Doom 3 BFG. You need to own the Windows version though. It works pretty much like the old port from ID.

https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG

The readme is pretty good and easy to follow. I installed it a while ago and it works pretty good :)
Hamish Sep 27, 2013
The problem for me is getting a graphics card that can run it and getting access to the data without Steam.
killx_den Sep 27, 2013
Quoting: Quote from HamishThe problem for me is getting a graphics card that can run it and getting access to the data without Steam.
I am not sure if it is possible to get the data without steam :(

I have to check the DVD as soon as I get home.
whizse Sep 30, 2013
The game data is apparently encrypted on the DVD, and needs Steam to unlock.

I'm kind of hoping for a future Humble iD Bundle, but I guess there's fat chance of that.
Hamish Sep 30, 2013
Quoting: Quote from whizseI'm kind of hoping for a future Humble iD Bundle, but I guess there's fat chance of that.

That would be awesome, but it is not going to happen. Besides, even if it did, who is to say it would not be like the THQ and Origin ones?

I am going to go cry in a corner now... :(
ageres Aug 27, 2017
I don't know what's the point of buying DRM-free versions if you have to use Linux ports anyway. Does GOG even provide a key for Quake 4 which is required by the Linux installer? I got mine after a month of debating with Steam support.
Avehicle7887 Aug 27, 2017
Quoting: ageresI don't know what's the point of buying DRM-free versions if you have to use Linux ports anyway. Does GOG even provide a key for Quake 4 which is required by the Linux installer? I got mine after a month of debating with Steam support.

DRM-Free vs DRM, it's been discussed heavily to death, some people don't like to depend on someone else to be able to play their games whenever they want, plus the additional thing that many DRM-Free users don't want to use is a client. In the end it's a matter of choice and how one views DRM.

As for the key in Quake 4, GOG doesn't give you one when you buy the game, in fact in the game page it's even listed as Single Player only. I'm not sure if they can provide a key if you ask for it, I have a boxed copy so I put mine from that.
slaapliedje Aug 28, 2017
I thought I read the Doom 3 BFG Edition port was also getting Vulkan, which I hope means we'll eventually get the VR Mod working, which makes the game absolutely frightening!
ageres Aug 28, 2017
How Vulkan and VR are connected?

Quoting: Avehicle7887DRM-Free vs DRM, it's been discussed heavily to death, some people don't like to depend on someone else to be able to play their games whenever they want
I downloaded Doom from Steam via Wine, copied the game data to a folder with compiled RBDoom3BFG and can play whenever I want. For GOG version it would take more efforts because I'd have to download a Windows installer, unpack it with Wine and delete unnecessary files like desktop shortcuts.
tuubi Aug 28, 2017
Quoting: ageresFor GOG version it would take more efforts because I'd have to download a Windows installer, unpack it with Wine and delete unnecessary files like desktop shortcuts.
No, you should be able to unpack it with innoextract. No need for wine at all.
Hamish Aug 28, 2017
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: ageresFor GOG version it would take more efforts because I'd have to download a Windows installer, unpack it with Wine and delete unnecessary files like desktop shortcuts.
No, you should be able to unpack it with innoextract. No need for wine at all.
And desktop shortcuts are a poor example anyway as you can just unselect a checkbox in the installer.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.