Planet Zoo
MrNilsson Apr 22, 2020
After a long while there is some good progress around Planet Zoo.

If you already own this game you might try it out. Here is the latest custom Proton version for the game: click me

Please use this custom Proton version just for this game.

I didn't test it yet but I might buy the game soon. There are already two positive reports on ProtonDB.

EDIT
I forgot to tell you where you should put the custom Proton Version. Extract it into: .steam/root/compatibilitytools.d
If you're using ProtonGE you will also find it there.

EDIT 2
Added latest custom Proton.

Last edited by MrNilsson on 5 May 2020 at 5:26 pm UTC
Philadelphus May 6, 2020
So I haven't tried messing around with custom Proton builds before, how does this work? I extract the custom version to the directory, then does it show up in the list of versions to force a game to use? Is that how you can only use it with Planet Zoo?

Also, is it possible/likely that the improvements in this version will eventually make their way into Valve's main branch, so that I could potentially play PZ using vanilla Proton further down the line? Thanks.
MrNilsson May 6, 2020
I've tried Proton GE a few times.

Yeah you have to extract it in the directory I've mentioned above and you can choose this Proton version on Steam, like you'll do it with the other Proton versions. It's recommended just to use this version for Planet Zoo.

You might play it with vanilla Proton sooner or later but for now it is working like a charm.
Philadelphus May 25, 2020
Well, with Planet Zoo going on sale this weekend a week after my birthday I thought, "What better time to try it out again?" So I bought the deluxe pack with all DLC, downloaded the custom Proton version, updated my graphics drivers after it kept crashing 10 seconds into the first tutorial, and it's working now! I'm still working my way through the first level, but I'm really enjoying it so far. :) The beautiful animal animations were what hooked me in the previews, and they're even better up close and in-person. Thanks a lot for first bringing the custom Proton build to my attention. :)

I'll give a few more hours, then submit a ProtonDB report (I've already had it crash Cinnamon on me from Alt-Tabbing, but at least Cinnamon was able to restart).
Philadelphus Jun 5, 2020
Should probably reply to this, it looks like the latest beta release of Proton 5 also works to run Planet Zoo. I'm assuming it incorporates the work from this custom version, probably?
MrNilsson Jun 6, 2020
You were right, it's fixed in Proton 5.0-8. Jurassic World Evolution is also working now!

Last edited by MrNilsson on 6 June 2020 at 10:31 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.