You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Having an issue with proton.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
blackbear_ May 11, 2020
Hello everyone, my apologies if it's uncouth of me to join and start asking for help but I've been to the Ubuntu forums and I have a couple open threads for a few days and still have no responses. The gaming portion of that forum is pretty dead, is my point I guess; So onward to the issue, and the maybe solution.

Hello there, so I'm having a little issue with my files looking different than all of the examples and directions of being able to install a specific version of Proton, specifically the https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/p...ag/5.8-GE-1-MF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuql9rd7S4g Was the video instructions I'm finding. I can find the compatibilitytools.d file, but when I extract the version of proton into it, it is greyed out still on my "Force the use of a specific steam compatibility tool" portion of the settings. Also, none of the files are where they were described by neither the producer of the instructions nor the ones responding to the instructions provided. One says to drop it into the root folder in steam, another says it should be in .steam/steam/compatibilitytools.d , but my compatibilitytools.d isn't at that location; and as I said before I'm not finding a .steam/root folder at all anywhere. Any help would be appreciated, I'm hoping this new proton version might actually fix some of the issues I'm having with a few of my games so appreciating any help I can get. 20.04 By the way.

EDIT: It's under like: .local/share/flatpak/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/x86_64/steable/ looooong filename/files/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d
Liam Dawe May 11, 2020
A few quick observations.

compatibilitytools.d is not a file, it's a folder. If it doesn't exist, you need to make it. I had pretty simple instructions included in a previous article.

Another location it can be is /.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/

Just so we're clear too, the dot at the start means it's a hidden folder in case you weren't aware. Press CTRL+H in file manager to show hidden stuff.

You also need to entirely restart Steam once you add a new Steam Play option in.

Edit: Ah nvm seems you found it, yeah Flatpak and Snap use their own different file structures.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 11 May 2020 at 2:43 pm UTC
blackbear_ May 11, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweA few quick observations.

compatibilitytools.d is not a file, it's a folder. If it doesn't exist, you need to make it. I had pretty simple instructions included in a previous article.

Just so we're clear too, the dot at the start means it's a hidden folder in case you weren't aware. Press CTRL+H in file manager to show hidden stuff.

You also need to entirely restart Steam once you add a new Steam Play option in.

Edit: Ah nvm seems you found it, yeah Flatpak and Snap use their own different file structures.

Thank you for the quick response, I did indeed find it, and I placed the custom GE proton in the folder, but for some reason even after restarting steam the option to change the version of proton is greyed out. I'm going to check your article to see if maybe I did something wrong at some point?
Liam Dawe May 11, 2020
Quoting: blackbear_
Quoting: Liam DaweA few quick observations.

Thank you for the quick response, I did indeed find it, and I placed the custom GE proton in the folder, but for some reason even after restarting steam the option to change the version of proton is greyed out. I'm going to check your article to see if maybe I did something wrong at some point?
Can you share a screenshot of what exactly you mean by greyed out?

I'm curious too, if you make this folder chain:
/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/

And put it in there, does it then work? Very well could be Steam having pathing issues due to you using the Flatpak.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 11 May 2020 at 2:52 pm UTC
blackbear_ May 11, 2020
Making the folder chain seems to have worked! Thank you! I'm also having an issue with something else lol, would you prefer I make a new post or just post it here?
Liam Dawe May 11, 2020
If it's related just keep it here. If it's an entirely different issue, new thread :)
blackbear_ May 11, 2020
I'm pretty sure it's related enough to keep it here; once this enabled my ability to be able to change what titles use which version of proton or native runtime I swapped all native titles to "Steam Linux Runetime" because they were all having serious graphical issues attempting to run off of proton (or at least I think that is why). But now when I go to start any of them after the change, ALL of them act like they're going to launch (puts up the preparing to launch) then immediately goes back to the green play button and doesn't launch.

EDIT: Okay so, I was wrong about it just being exclusive to Native titles. None of the games are wanting to launch now lol. Not the ones on GE's Proton or Linux Runtime.

Last edited by blackbear_ on 11 May 2020 at 4:04 pm UTC
Liam Dawe May 11, 2020
Quoting: blackbear_I'm pretty sure it's related enough to keep it here; once this enabled my ability to be able to change what titles use which version of proton or native runtime I swapped all native titles to "Steam Linux Runetime" because they were all having serious graphical issues attempting to run off of proton (or at least I think that is why). But now when I go to start any of them after the change, ALL of them act like they're going to launch (puts up the preparing to launch) then immediately goes back to the green play button and doesn't launch.
Well, Steam Linux Runtime is the new container system (more info: #1 + #2 ) and is not meant for anything to do with Proton as it's for native Linux games. You either use: the linux game, the linux game in the Steam Runtime Container or Proton.

Also, again since you're using the Flatpak, it might cause extra issues with the container system.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 11 May 2020 at 4:03 pm UTC
blackbear_ May 11, 2020
The way I wanted to do it was: Under Steam>Settings>Steam Play> I set "Enable Steam Play for all other titles" And set the default proton to GE's 5.8,then just go through the native ones, and set it to Linux Runetime. But having the default set to GE's 5.8 and/Or having Native ones set to Runtime, doesn't allow any of the games to start. For some reason, if I do it the other way, and set specific games to run with GE's 5.8 like The Forest for example, the game refuses to start with it for some reason.

So I guess I have two questions: Is there a way to launch native games as such? Cause I think it's trying to launch them using proton because I can't think of any other reason for there to be such dramatic graphical issues. The second question is, how do I get steam to successfully open the game using GE's 5.8 proton? Thank you again for your help by the way.

[url=https://ibb.co/k4TVxYq][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/XDmcqg4][/url]

This is what I mean about graphical issues with the native games I have and it's super confusing. I haven't found anything at all in terms of a fix or even information about it.

Last edited by blackbear_ on 11 May 2020 at 4:38 pm UTC
Liam Dawe May 11, 2020
That's out of my knowledge at this point I'm afraid, as I don't use the Flatpak.
blackbear_ May 11, 2020
Is there any way to make the swap to snap cleanly at this point? Or should I just start over? Also, I edited the previous post if you wanted to take a look at what I mean.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.