Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Half-Life: Alyx
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
damarrin May 22, 2020
No thread for this? For shame!

Alyx is native now. Yay?

I just got my Ryzen 3700X with new mobo and RAM and it runs almost perfect. A second of out-of-place reprojection frames every now and then, it's fully awesome.

It was unplayable while still running with Proton on my FX-8320E, and I didn't test the native version there, I need to put the gfx card and drive back in to see how the native version compares.

Anyway, I played the opening section and a little beyond and it's really something.
buono May 22, 2020
I completed it yesterday playing the native version and it did feel like a much smoother experience throughout ( especially the loading screens ), and no crashes at all.

I noticed a couple of subtle changes on this play-through; additional minor graphic effects, missing chairs in the Jeff chapter??, and a nod to the crowbar collective early in the game before meeting the vortigaunt.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in the workshops now!
Install May 23, 2020
Did Alyx first release non native?
damarrin May 23, 2020
Yes.
damarrin May 24, 2020
Wow, this gets so intense.

When the
Spoiler, click me
armored headcrab jumped through the gate and landed right next to me where you first encounter them I just paused the game and took the headset off.
I played more and I got a little used to it, but wow.

Last edited by damarrin on 24 May 2020 at 1:27 pm UTC
damarrin May 24, 2020
It's somewhat buggy, though. Save games or options can fail to appear in the menu. I got some graphic corruption at one point, though that happened only once.

Still, the most intense gaming experience I've ever had.
buono May 24, 2020
So far for me the game is working great, no crashes of graphic glitches however the state of steamVR for linux does still feel beta - overlay sometimes works, sometimes not, vr compositor crashes etc.. - but works well enough to get the game going and explore some environments.(Half -life 2 kleiner's lab is my current favorite)

Is this your first play through?
damarrin May 24, 2020
Yeah, i’m playing for the first time. Just getting through the area with
Spoiler, click me
all the barrels and barnacles
and I died and couldn’t load the game because the window with the saved games was empty.
damarrin May 24, 2020
And yeah, SteamVR is very beta. Good enough to use, luckily.
buono May 25, 2020
I have the marks on my headset from flailing my arms around trying to remove a headcrab :)

It's a great immersive experience with plenty of shocks, in an awesome environment. Sorry you've lost your save game, but take your time catching up, savor the first play through as much as possible.

Have fun!
damarrin May 25, 2020
Oh, no, I didn't lose my games, it's just that for me Alyx sometimes shows empty windows for options and saves. I have to restart the game for them to come back, then they quickly disappear again, so if I die I usually can't load a save.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.