Issues after upgrade to Linux Mint 20
DMG Jul 10, 2020
Hello!
I did upgrade my linux mint to version 20 today and straight after that noticed, that my games works a bit more laggy, than before. And ProtonGE not working at all. For example, if I open ARK with ProtonGE (5.9 or 5.11), I'm stuck with this screen:

link

With proton 5.0-9 works just fine, but still a bit more laggy. Does anyone know, what could cause this issues? On Linux Mint 19 I did not have such problems.
WorMzy Jul 10, 2020
What graphics card/drivers are you using?
DMG Jul 10, 2020
vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
model : GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
driver : nvidia-driver-440 - distro non-free recommended

But I didn't change nvidia driver. It was same in Linux Mint 19.

Last edited by DMG on 10 July 2020 at 8:31 pm UTC
DMG Jul 11, 2020
Today with proton 5.0-9 works fine, but with any of ProtonGE I can't even launch that game. I have no clue, why is that
on_en_a_gros Jul 11, 2020
Do you have errors if you launch the game with the terminal ( or maybe with the log option in lutris)? If yes it could probably be useful to post it.
Cmdr_Iras Jul 11, 2020
Did you do an inplace upgrade? or was it a clean install.

If in place try deleting the GE proton folders, rebooting steam, then re-"install" the Proton GE builds.
Also try running the application from the terminal, either by invoking the steam appid directly or by running steam from the terminal. when the game boots there maybe an error output that is helpful.
DMG Jul 11, 2020
I checked, but I don't see any special warning compared to proton 5.0-9 version. They both throw same warnings. Game still play sound in background, but I can't access it with ProtonGE.

Here is message from console:
dmg@dell-pc:~$ steam steam://rungameid/346110
Running Steam on linuxmint 20 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Steam client's requirements are satisfied
/home/dmg/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam -nominidumps -nobreakpad steam://rungameid/346110
[2020-07-11 15:36:47] Startup - updater built Jul  8 2020 23:10:46
[2020-07-11 15:36:47] Verifying installation...
[2020-07-11 15:36:47] Verification complete
STEAM_RUNTIME_HEAVY: ./steam-runtime-heavy
Warning: failed to set thread priority: set failed for 4: -1: setpriority() failed
Warning: failed to set thread priority: set failed for priority 4
Warning: support for elevated priorities is most likely unavailable, suppressing future warnings
Warning: failed to set thread priority: set failed for 4: -1: setpriority() failed
Warning: failed to set thread priority: set failed for priority 4
Warning: support for elevated priorities is most likely unavailable, suppressing future warnings

Only error, what I can find in logs is this one:

15:57:54 rtkit-daemon: Failed to parse MakeThreadRealtime() method call: Argument 1 is specified to be of type "uint32", but is actually of type "int32"

QuoteDid you do an inplace upgrade? or was it a clean install.
I upgraded from Linux Mint 19

QuoteIf in place try deleting the GE proton folders, rebooting steam, then re-"install" the Proton GE builds.
I tried, but did not help

Last edited by DMG on 11 July 2020 at 1:02 pm UTC
damarrin Jul 12, 2020
You can also try reinstalling the nvidia driver.
Pangaea Jul 20, 2020
Quoting: DMGI upgraded from Linux Mint 19
You don't mention what (sub)version of Mint you had, so I'll just assume it is 19.3. In that case you can check out this upgrade recipe from the Mint team: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade-to-mint-20.html

This section may be relevant, if we assume this also applies to drivers:
QuotePPAs or 3rd party repositories can introduce issues during the upgrade if the versions of the packages they provide are higher than in Linux Mint 20. This can result in unmet dependencies, held packages or resolver issues.

I'm on 19.3 myself, but haven't tried to upgrade yet. Everything works well already, and I did see on the Mint forums that some people had issues.
DMG Jul 21, 2020
QuoteYou don't mention what (sub)version of Mint you had, so I'll just assume it is 19.3. In that case you can check out this upgrade recipe from the Mint team: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade-to-mint-20.html

I did read them, but don't see anything useful, that could fix my problem. I had many softwares, that did disappear after upgrade (for example WPS Office). I had to install them again. Maybe disappeared something on what relies ProtonGE. But if so, how can I find out, what is it? Even with 5.0-10 all runs fine and I didn't see any other problems so far.
Guppy Jul 21, 2020
Try
  • Login to a fresh Linux account

• Install a new copy of ark for that account

• Launch

It's the easiest way to check if there is some cruft left behind from old installs in your home/steam dir
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.