Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Microsoft have just bought Bethesda
Page: 0/2»
  Go to:
damarrin Sep 22, 2020
Yes, well. Not like any of them were on Linux.

It’s playstation I’m more worried about and competition with MS.

It’s a good move. That’s a helotta good games.
Whitewolfe80 Sep 22, 2020
Quoting: damarrinYes, well. Not like any of them were on Linux.

It’s playstation I’m more worried about and competition with MS.

It’s a good move. That’s a helotta good games.

No true they were not but what if the next doom game is DX12 only its not going to be a good experience on proton that's for sure, but yeah am guessing these will be PC and Xbox exclusive from now on which is a very good business move in terms of shifting consoles on team MS. Because if i was a console gamer exclusive fallout, elder scrolls and dishonoured means i would have to buy and xbox.
damarrin Sep 22, 2020
Good point about DX12, MS will certainly push for that.
Salvatos Sep 22, 2020
Don’t they have inXile as well?
damarrin Sep 22, 2020
Yes they do.
Cyril Sep 22, 2020
And Obsidian too...
Bethesda didn't release any game on Linux, yes, but inXile and Obsidian did...
And don't count on them so much now...
I just hope inXile won't cancel the Linux release of Wasteland 3 but after that...

Last edited by Cyril on 22 September 2020 at 11:32 pm UTC
nate Sep 23, 2020
Well, it's M$. I am sure that they will try making all new releases of Bethesda games as Linux-unfriendly as possible. This acquisition just shows how important it is to support free and open source gaming projects.
Whitewolfe80 Sep 23, 2020
Quoting: CyrilAnd Obsidian too...
Bethesda didn't release any game on Linux, yes, but inXile and Obsidian did...
And don't count on them so much now...
I just hope inXile won't cancel the Linux release of Wasteland 3 but after that...

What stings about that is they now have the IP and obsidian in house they could make Fallout New Vegas 2 oh sweet jesus if it was made and didnt come to pc i would probably have to buy a console.

They did say they would honour the current licence and multi platform commitments but then they followed it up by saying all future games would be on a case by case basis.

Also this does likely mean the death of bethesda own launcher as it will likely go over to the apps store and steam.

Last edited by Whitewolfe80 on 23 September 2020 at 9:06 am UTC
Ehvis Sep 23, 2020
Quoting: Whitewolfe80Also this does likely mean the death of bethesda own launcher as it will likely go over to the apps store and steam.

So a silver lining after all.

Don't think they'll be pushing DX12 on id though. That's like throwing away 20 years of experience and would be a bad business decision. Microsoft still wants money.
Whitewolfe80 Sep 23, 2020
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: Whitewolfe80Also this does likely mean the death of bethesda own launcher as it will likely go over to the apps store and steam.

So a silver lining after all.

Don't think they'll be pushing DX12 on id though. That's like throwing away 20 years of experience and would be a bad business decision. Microsoft still wants money.

I am not sure though would they bother with Vulkan render I mean I hope they do so it makes it smoother on proton but native ports sure MS are launching Edge on linux I don't think they are willing to make their games native on linux. However they could get a ton of money but knowing that every copy of Elder scrolls 6 fallout whatever the next one is means that sony have to pay licence fees plus percent profits to their biggest rival with every copy sold. Or if MS went the evil route and said nope exclusive to MS platforms PC/Xbox yolo x whatever the fuck model they are on now as i said before i would buy a console from MS if new vegas 2 was xbox exclusive i could learn to tolerate 30 fps with an upscaler probably.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.