Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Controller for Linux... help...
Page: «3/5»
  Go to:
CatKiller Aug 12, 2023
I use a DS4, and before that I used a DS3. They've both been great.
tuubi Aug 12, 2023
The 8BitDo Pro 2 has been working for me just as well as the SN30 Pro+. It's just the new extra paddles on the bottom that need to be configured on their Windows/Android app, but I haven't bothered. Otherwise it's just a slightly better version of the same controller. So yeah, in my opinion it's a great choice if you like the Pro+.
childermass Aug 12, 2023
Thanks CatKiller and tuubi! Hmm... I'll take a look at both but may be leaning towards the 8BitDo as it seems to be a little cheaper than the DS4 (unless there's any difference in functionality).

Do both of them work out-of-the-box?
whizse Aug 12, 2023
Quoting: childermassunless there's any difference in functionality
The DS4 comes with a gyroscope (which I don't really use) and a trackpad/mouse which does come in handy from time to time.
Klaas Aug 12, 2023
Quoting: whizseThe DS4 comes with a gyroscope (which I don't really use) and a trackpad/mouse which does come in handy from time to time.
How's the support for the different glyphs in games without Steaminput?
tuubi Aug 12, 2023
Quoting: childermassThanks CatKiller and tuubi! Hmm... I'll take a look at both but may be leaning towards the 8BitDo as it seems to be a little cheaper than the DS4 (unless there's any difference in functionality).

Do both of them work out-of-the-box?
The Pro 2 works just as well out-of-the-box as the SN30 Pro+.
whizse Aug 12, 2023
Quoting: KlaasHow's the support for the different glyphs in games without Steaminput?
Pretty poor. Usually either an Xbox controller is assumed or you just get numbers for the buttons.

Doesn't seem to be specific to Linux though, from what I can tell it seems to be the same on Windows. Just lazy devs I guess...
Klaas Aug 12, 2023
Quoting: whizsePretty poor. Usually either an Xbox controller is assumed or you just get numbers for the buttons.
That's what I thought and why I still haven't bought one – the general layout and features look good.
mr-victory Aug 12, 2023
Our DualShock 3's are rock solid and others report positive experiences as well. Sony recently added official drivers for DS4 and DualSense but you may need to update to non LTS version of Ubuntu to pick up official drivers. Otherwise there has been community drivers in the kernel for a long time. Pick any of these depending on feature set and price as you wish, they are all plug and play.
childermass Aug 13, 2023
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: KlaasHow's the support for the different glyphs in games without Steaminput?
Pretty poor. Usually either an Xbox controller is assumed or you just get numbers for the buttons.

Doesn't seem to be specific to Linux though, from what I can tell it seems to be the same on Windows. Just lazy devs I guess...

To check I understand what this means, is it just that the on-screen representation of the buttons will just be the Xbox's A, B, X, Y (or just numbers) instead of the proper symbols for a PlayStation controller? Apart from that, is it usable as you'd expect?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.