Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Gaming on Linux for Kids
Page: «9/12»
  Go to:
CatKiller Aug 1, 2023
Quoting: redmanIt's true but is only one core, it run better on 386. Apart that I only have 4gb of RAM, so no real advantage.
You get access to more registers and new instructions, both of which help performance. And the AMD64 codebase is actually maintained, whereas the i686 codebase isn't.
redman Aug 2, 2023
Quoting: Eike
Quoting: redmanAny suggestion on really low resources games ?

A Short Hike maybe?
The Putt-Putt adventures, if she's not feeling too old for that?

Looking if they are in Spanish! But I like them for her.
Eike Aug 2, 2023
Quoting: redman
Quoting: Eike
Quoting: redmanAny suggestion on really low resources games ?

A Short Hike maybe?
The Putt-Putt adventures, if she's not feeling too old for that?

Looking if they are in Spanish! But I like them for her.

A big advantage of Putt-Putt for my 6 yo children was that many of these games had voice-overs in our language, German. It seems they were not translated to Spanish though.
redman Aug 2, 2023
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: redmanIt's true but is only one core, it run better on 386. Apart that I only have 4gb of RAM, so no real advantage.
You get access to more registers and new instructions, both of which help performance. And the AMD64 codebase is actually maintained, whereas the i686 codebase isn't.

I have to ask what is your recommendation then ?
CatKiller Aug 2, 2023
Quoting: redmanI have to ask what is your recommendation then ?
For distro? Anything you like. Personally, I favour Kubuntu, but there's no shortage of choices if that doesn't float your boat. But if one's hardware can use AMD64 then it should use AMD64.

For games? That hardware wasn't great 10 years ago, so you're limited to older and low-spec games. You're also likely going to struggle with Proton through lack of Vulkan support. That's still quite a lot of games to choose from, though.
denyasis Sep 18, 2023
Dropping back in to update!!

So, for the entire summer, my house has been filled with Zelda as the game of choice, lol. While I don't play, I must admit, Nintendo has done a good job making a SP game that's not only really good, but really fun to watch as a family and add commentary on!!

Noticing my 9 year old seems to really enjoy the building aspect of the game, making tanks and walkers and other battle weapons, I decided to have him try Besieged on Linux. It's a lot harder, but he had fun with the first few levels!

They've been asking for the own PC recently, so I might cave in and get them something midrange (?). I'm debating between something super cheap (and older) vs something more modern and capable.
redman Sep 18, 2023
Quoting: denyasisDropping back in to update!!

So, for the entire summer, my house has been filled with Zelda as the game of choice, lol. While I don't play, I must admit, Nintendo has done a good job making a SP game that's not only really good, but really fun to watch as a family and add commentary on!!

Noticing my 9 year old seems to really enjoy the building aspect of the game, making tanks and walkers and other battle weapons, I decided to have him try Besieged on Linux. It's a lot harder, but he had fun with the first few levels!

They've been asking for the own PC recently, so I might cave in and get them something midrange (?). I'm debating between something super cheap (and older) vs something more modern and capable.

The big question for me was for what they need it ? Why they ask for it ? My kid view the PC as the homework resource and Kirby playing, so it was really easy for me, but my nephew wanted to play Minecraft so they have to get a more powerful machine because an old one wasn't enough.
Grogan Sep 18, 2023
So I must have a smaller attention span than 4 year old. I lost patience with Talos Principle in about 30 minutes after the first few puzzles lol

(P.S. Oops, that was an old post on the first page that just caught my attention, not a recent one)

Last edited by Grogan on 18 September 2023 at 10:43 pm UTC
Eike Sep 19, 2023
Quoting: GroganSo I must have a smaller attention span than 4 year old. I lost patience with Talos Principle in about 30 minutes after the first few puzzles lol

(P.S. Oops, that was an old post on the first page that just caught my attention, not a recent one)

I played through it and consider it a great puzzle game. One evening during Christmas vacations, far away from my computer, I found the solution for a puzzle i had struggled with for days. So, the puzzle wasn't too complex, I could remember all the parts and figure it out, it was just difficult in a good, satisfying way.

Maybe the game takes a slow start, and then, of course, there's the philosophy, which may or may not resonate with you.

Last edited by Eike on 19 September 2023 at 6:41 am UTC
denyasis Sep 19, 2023
Quoting: redman
Quoting: denyasisDropping back in to update!!

The big question for me was for what they need it ? Why they ask for it ? My kid vithe PC as the homework resource and Kirby playing, so it was really easy for me, but my nephew wanted to play Minecraft so they have to get a more powerful machine because an old one wasn't enough.

I did have a talk with them the other day. School, journaling, Web browsing, and gaming. With that in mind, I think, if I can afford it, I'll aim for a good CPU platform and add GFX and memory later, as needed.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.