Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Odd Controller Issue
Expalphalog Mar 3, 2021
So first off, I'm clueless when it comes to Linux. Been running Mint for, god probably five years now and the thing is so intuitive that I've never needed to dive into the complexities under the hood.

Here's the issue. Old XBox controller worked right out the box, no muss, no fuss.
New controller is a newer version of the same controller. I plug it in, and nothing. I fire up Steam, nothing. I go into controller settings in Steam, and see it listed as being detected. I click Detect Controller, the thing rumbles, and boom, it works fine. It's not a big deal at all since it just takes a few clicks to get the controller working, it just seems odd that I have to go into Steam and ask it to detect something that is already detected in order to get the thing working even outside of Steam.
Liam Dawe Mar 3, 2021
Odd. Do you have Steam Input's xbox controller handling thing ticked? If so, that might be causing issues perhaps?
Expalphalog Mar 3, 2021
That was my first thought as well. But nope. I mean, worst case scenario I just keep wasting a whole 10 seconds to get it working every time I want to play Rocket League, but I thought maybe one of you smarter-than-me blokes would know the answer off the top of your heads.
Liam Dawe Mar 4, 2021
Quoting: ExpalphalogThat was my first thought as well. But nope. I mean, worst case scenario I just keep wasting a whole 10 seconds to get it working every time I want to play Rocket League, but I thought maybe one of you smarter-than-me blokes would know the answer off the top of your heads.
I had a similar issue with Rocket League back when it supported Linux, sometimes it just didn't detect a gamepad properly. If you're seeing the same with Proton, likely a game issue.
Expalphalog Mar 4, 2021
Except that even the OS won't recognize the controller until I fire up Steam and click Identify. That's what makes it so weird. All of this is happening before Rocket League, or even Steam, is launched. I have to use Steam to get even non-Steam programs to recognize the controller. Even the controller's built-in "change the color of the RGB lights" button doesn't do anything until I make Steam identify the controller.
damarrin Mar 4, 2021
Have you tried SC Controller?

Maybe your newer controller is not fully supported in whatever driver is in Mint and Steam needs to step in and do its thing before it works?
Arehandoro Mar 4, 2021
Quoting: damarrinHave you tried SC Controller?

Maybe your newer controller is not fully supported in whatever driver is in Mint and Steam needs to step in and do its thing before it works?

Was going to mention this. Other alternative could be making sure xboxdrv is started upon logon, or that there isn't an old udev rule for the x360 controller that is conflicting with the new one (I guess xOne?). You could check with: sudo systemctl status xboxdrv
Expalphalog Mar 5, 2021
That code returned:
● xboxdrv.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.