You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
A way to have fullscreened applications apear in window under KDE
Rooster Apr 1, 2021
Anyone knows a way how in KDE I can make a game which thinks it's running in fullscreen appear in window, or a as part of the screen? I saw this done using tiling window managers and it made me wonder if I can achieve the same thing under KDE somehow.

Last edited by Rooster on 1 April 2021 at 4:38 pm UTC
dpanter Apr 1, 2021
Kwin can do anything. Keybind F11 - toggle fullscreen, you can use application/window rules to set whatever you want.
Rooster Apr 1, 2021
Quoting: dpanterKwin can do anything. Keybind F11 - toggle fullscreen, you can use application/window rules to set whatever you want.

Maybe I didn't wrote that very clearly. I changed the word "application" to "game" in my initial post, to make it more clear what I'm trying to do. What I want is to run a game in fullscreen, but have it occupy only part of my actual screen.

Basically I want to be able to achieve this:
https://dwm.suckless.org/patches/fakefullscreen/
in KDE

Last edited by Rooster on 1 April 2021 at 5:04 pm UTC
dpanter Apr 1, 2021
Well, games are applications, i.e. programs, i.e. executable binaries.
What I mean is that Kwin has configurable rules for manipulating presentable surfaces on both application and window level. Do look it up, extremely powerful feature.

Honestly I'm not sure I understand what the point is of this fake thing. Full screen is full screen, else it's windowed...
Good luck with your search.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.