Can't run Doom Eternal at 1080p settings on a 4k Monitor on Ubuntu 20.10
jonathanbossenger Jun 25, 2021
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 20.10
Desktop Environment: Gnome
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1660 ti
GPU Driver Version: nvidia-driver-465 (proprietary)

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

Steam info: https://gist.github.com/jonathanbossenger/8f5af0fe8e991f7de970278c016ea43d

You can note your issue below here

Is there any reason I should not be able to run Doom Eternal on a 4k monitor, but at 1080p resolution settings, with my current setup?

I have two PCs, one at home and one at the office. The home PC is an AMD Ryzen 2600x with a Zotac Nvidia GTX 1060 and a 1080p monitor, the work one is an AMD Ryzen 3600 with the Nvidia GTX 1660 ti graphics card and a 4k monitor. Both have 16GB of RAM. I play at home at 1080p, so I have the game resolution set at 1080p.

Doom (2016) works fine, but Doom Eternal does not. I know it's 4 years older, but I'd still expect the newer game to load to the game menu at least.

On the work PC, when I try to load the Doom Eternal, it gets to the initial loading screen, and then just hangs.

The other difference is that the home PC is running 20.04, the work one is 20.10.

Is this the OS version, or is the graphics card not powerful enough, or something else I'm missing?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.