The witcher - proton - graphic Problems
neranus Aug 23, 2021
Hello there,

I wanted to play The Witcher: Enhanced Edition using proton version 4.11 since it wouldn't launch using a newer version. Now it launches, but its flickering (see Screenshots while playing. This does not occur in the intro scene or the start menu, or in the loading screen, only in the game itself, but so much that it is not playable. The subtitle also remains untouched.

Does anyone know how to solve this or at least where it comes from?

sincerely
neranus

My System Info

Linux Distribution: Debian
Desktop Environment: xfce
Graphics Card: VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116]
GPU Driver Version: i915
(https://pastebin.com/8zTDkpUp

System read-out from Steam -> Help -> System Information:
https://pastebin.com/U2CA7TVa

p.s. Since english is not my first language I am sorry for all spelling and/or grammatical issues
Ehvis Aug 23, 2021
Use a newer proton. Don't know if it will help for an integrated gpu, but 4.11 is pretty ancient.

Last edited by Ehvis on 23 August 2021 at 5:28 pm UTC
whizse Aug 23, 2021
I'm not sure if it's enabled by Proton/protonfixes but that bug looks very much like the issues you face if CheckFloatConstants isn't set in regedit in Wine (with a Mesa OpenGL driver, which seems to be the case if you're on i915!:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Useful_Registry_Keys

I had a very similar issue a couple of years ago when I tried to play it on Mesa/OpenGL.

Last edited by whizse on 23 August 2021 at 6:59 pm UTC
Shmerl Aug 23, 2021
For the reference, it works OK with latest Wine / dxvk.

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 August 2021 at 3:05 am UTC
denyasis Aug 24, 2021
Quoting: ShmerlFor the reference, it work OK with latest Wine / dxvk.

I can second that for regular wine and Dxvk. I just finished it last night (even had a few mods running). Although I want trying it on integrated graphics.

If the steam version is DRM free, you could copy it into a fresh wine prefix and try it.

Last edited by denyasis on 24 August 2021 at 3:37 am UTC
hsorsa Jun 13, 2022
Hi, I have the same issue with latest proton under steam. With proton-GE version 6 (all versions) glitches are gone but I've still got missing wall textures, it makes game unplayable.

How can I run steam version with normal wine?

My PC:
Dell Inspiron 7537
Kernel: 5.13.0-48-generic
CPU: Intel i7-4500U (4) @ 3.000GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
denyasis Jun 13, 2022
Going off memory here, but it might be worth trying the normal proton version. I had the GOG version and when Lutris tried to load a non stock wine, I had a lot of problems. It worked fine with normal wine.

Protondb send to indicate the stock proton works (if I'm reading the reports right).
hsorsa Jun 14, 2022
Quoting: denyasisGoing off memory here, but it might be worth trying the normal proton version. I had the GOG version and when Lutris tried to load a non stock wine, I had a lot of problems. It worked fine with normal wine.

Protondb send to indicate the stock proton works (if I'm reading the reports right).

I've used normal proton version from proton 5 to proton 7, all versions. I get normal look, but wall textures are not visible. This is steam version. Tried all startup commands on protondb, no help. I think it might have something with nvidia drivers, but can't tell for sure.

I also have GOG version of game, so I'll try with Heroic and proton/wine, to see if there are any changes.

Any ideas are welcome :)
whizse Jun 14, 2022
Quoting: hsorsaGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
I presume this GPU is too old to run Vulkan and you're using WineD3D and not DXVK?

There's an open bug about a texture issue with this game, and a suggested workaround to use a native d3dx9_35 dll:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46553
hsorsa Jun 18, 2022
Actually myc ard supports Vulkan. If I'm reading online databases right? Is there any way to check.

This wine issues seems to be the problem. I'll try to find what I can to with this...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.