Stable ryzen processors
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
dvd Oct 25, 2021
I have an 1300x from which i'm looking to upgrade mainly beacause of the hardware faults (namely the freezes/reboots with mces). I'd rather it be on the cheap side. I'm asking on GOL mainly because i'm interested if any of you had a stable experience with the ryzen processor (preferably without nomwait or disabling c-states or any of that stuff).
Shmerl Oct 25, 2021
Zen 1 is just the bad generation of it. Get anything Zen 2 or later (like Zen 3).
Koopacabras Oct 25, 2021
Zen 1+
is also fine imho.
I had a 2600 and it worked like a charm.
I think of the Zen1+ the cheapest might be the 2300X.
Problem is that those CPUs were such a bargain for what they offer on gaming, that scalpers deplenished all the stock, they are nowhere to be seen at MSRP, that was a less 100 usd CPU in the past.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 25 October 2021 at 5:53 pm UTC
Shmerl Oct 25, 2021
Yeah, Zen+ is OK but I mean if you are already buying a new processor probably no point to buy Zen+ when we are already at Zen 3.

But it can also depends on motherboards of course. You can go from Zen 1 to Zen+ without changing one, but for Zen 3 you might need a new one depending on the chipset.

Last edited by Shmerl on 25 October 2021 at 5:52 pm UTC
Koopacabras Oct 25, 2021
yeah that's true, but also if you don't have a mobo that supports Zen 3. Then I think that the difference between a ryzen 2600 and a Ryzen 3600 (for example) it's not that important like about a 20ish increment of performance (or even less depends of the game), so if you are on tight budget then you have to take that in consideration, maybe Zen 2 cpus are a bit overpriced right now.

That's why, in my case, I jumped directly from a 2600 to a 5600X.
And even then, at 1440p or 4K there's no difference between the two.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 25 October 2021 at 6:37 pm UTC
Whitewolfe80 Oct 27, 2021
1600 af it's zen plus has increased clock speed over the Ryzen 1 if you live in the UK and you don't mind second hand cex sells the 2600 for 95 and the 2300x for 70
dvd Oct 27, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions. Something ~70-100 would be sweet, i'm stuck on 1080p so even the 1300x and the modest gfx card is not a problem for me.
Samsai Oct 27, 2021
If you just need a quick fix, you could try playing with voltages and see if that improves the situation. I ran a temperamental 1700 for a while that was unstable, but upping the voltages somewhat mitigated the stability issues such that I was able to make it work, although eventually I upgraded to the 3700x for speed and peace of mind.

I think towards the end I was running slightly tuned-up voltages and the C-states disabled and it was able to keep Blender and heavy compilation workloads running without crashing. I did have some other crashes, but those may have been due to my GPU having an overheating problem at the time, so it's hard to say for sure whether the CPU was being fully stable.
Koopacabras Oct 27, 2021
yeah I agree with Samsai, that might help, what worked for me personally, when I had a 1600 was enabling on the bios "Typical Current Idle" instead of the default "Low Current Idle"
Also you definetely need the newest bios you can get, because afaik this problem was patched at firmware level of the cpu microcode.
Also I would rather recommend running at least kernel 5.8 or newer.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 27 October 2021 at 9:53 pm UTC
Plintslîcho Oct 28, 2021
I'm running a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU on a ASUS ROG Strix X370-F motherboard. In order to avoid any crashes I have to disable P-states in the BIOS. It's my second Ryzen CPU and I had these problems already with my old CPU (1700). So disabling P-states is no big deal for me. The 3700 is still way more stable than my old 1700 CPU.

I'm not sure but the motherboard could also well be part of the problem. It took countless BIOS updates to make it operate somewhat reliable- and it still acts weird from time to time.
Shmerl Oct 28, 2021
Just an idea, in case of such issues you can request an RMA from AMD.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.