You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
(Poll) Steam Deck
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
Poll results: Have you pre ordered a Steam Deck ?
Yes?

54 vote(s)
50%
No?

46 vote(s)
42%
On the fence?

9 vote(s)
8%
denyasis Nov 2, 2021
Quoting: pete910Unfortunately this entire hobby is going beyond a lot of peoples means. The prices are just nuts!

Yep. I've actually stopped buying games in 2021. Not sure if I'll buy anything in 22. Even less sure I'm actually missing anything...
CatKiller Nov 3, 2021
Quoting: denyasisI'm a no. I can't afford it and if I had the money, I'd save up a extra for a proper laptop.
Gaming on a laptop sucks, though.
Trias Nov 3, 2021
This pool really needs *It is not available in my region* option...

Well, if there would be some decks available through gray import, I will think about it next year. Mostly out of curiosity and to support sales a bit (if grey import counts for it). I'm not expecting to use it a lot, honestly.
OG SWAT RV@Linux Nov 3, 2021
I have placed a reservation...

I just want to have it.
peta77 Nov 3, 2021
Did a reservation.
I just hope it becomes successful so that Linux Desktop gaming can profit from it.
For it's actual use by me: there's some older / rather low end (regarding graphics / resource usage) games I actually think of playing on it, but I'll still prefer desktop for the "good stuff".
And I hope the Linux environment of it will be well enough supported, also by community repos, to run some standard Linux apps and simple OSS games on it.

P.S. I just wonder why it's not shown in my steam wishlist when i set the platform filter to (native) available for steamos/linux..... that doesn't make any sense... at least for me...

Last edited by peta77 on 3 November 2021 at 8:31 pm UTC
denyasis Nov 4, 2021
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: denyasisI'm a no. I can't afford it and if I had the money, I'd save up a extra for a proper laptop.
Gaming on a laptop sucks, though.

Never been a huge problem for me. And I can do a lot more than game on a laptop, too.

For me, it's a return on investment. I can't afford both, so what can I do the most on for the longest time?
damarrin Nov 4, 2021
I’m actually wondering if I can move my mobile computing to it. Hook up to a monitor/kbm at work and the same at home and play some games in the mean time.
g000h Nov 4, 2021
I haven't reserved one. A handheld console is interesting, but takes a distant second place to my desktop pc for gaming. Certainly the fact that it runs Linux (or whatever OS I install) and I can play most of my Steam library on it elevates it far above any other console. I value freedom, privacy, and actual control of the devices I own. I despise Android, iOS, Windows, ChromeOS, MacOSX, and similar proprietary products for not doing exactly what I want them to do.

In the (far) future I might get one, but I have priorities to upgrade my desktop pc (cpu, graphics, etc) first.
peta77 Nov 4, 2021
Quoting: damarrinI’m actually wondering if I can move my mobile computing to it. Hook up to a monitor/kbm at work and the same at home and play some games in the mean time.
Well, they've announced a docking station (sold separately) also, which is supposed to provide you exactly that possibility. You just need to hope the battery has enough capacity and recharges fast enough if you're using it almost constantly.
denyasis Nov 5, 2021
Quoting: damarrinI’m actually wondering if I can move my mobile computing to it. Hook up to a monitor/kbm at work and the same at home and play some games in the mean time.

That's an interesting prospect! I never thought of this, but how many monitors can the Steam Deck run? May I ask, what would you do for travel? Bring a monitor/kbm along? I imagine a screen ought to fit in a laptop bag, right?

I mean I totally understand if your job doesn't do that, so it might not be a consideration, but it is an interesting idea!

Come to think of it... If that dock is small enough... One could connect it to thier second, third, whatever monitor at thier workstation for when times get slow... We'd just need a "boss" button to pause the game and get the monitor to switch back to the workstation desktop.

Not that I'm advocating playing games at work or anything... But I do remember when games had a Boss button for a reason, lol.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.