Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
help using winetricks
ExpandingMan Jan 18, 2022
I have used `protontricks` successfully a few times, but I seem to be having a lot of trouble with winetricks itself.

I always get
------------------------------------------------------
warning: Your version of wine  is no longer supported upstream. You should upgrade to 5.x
------------------------------------------------------

Now, this is
◖▮~▮◗ winetricks --version
20210206-next - sha256sum: 0769bbcdbd92c407f4eacaa85acc1339f607dbeafe2febd1be0912034c7af3a1

and everything on my system is for 7.0 by now, so maybe it's out of date... but I was surprised to see that both the AUR versions and the one on the regular manjaro repos are this 20210206 version.

Winetricks is a big pain to install outside of a package manager, as it has a makefile and install untracked scripts into your system.

Any advice here? Am I just using an out of date version or am I missing something else?
whizse Jan 18, 2022
Quoting: ExpandingManWinetricks is a big pain to install outside of a package manager, as it has a makefile and install untracked scripts into your system.
Weird.

I usually just "wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks"; and "bash winetricks whatever" for the rare occasions when I use it.
ExpandingMan Jan 18, 2022
Yeah... I looked at their makefile looks like they are just using it to install a `.desktop`, an icon and some other superfluous crap.

Looks like the reason it wasn't working was because I didn't provide the absolute path to the `WINEPREFIX` variable (also wierd that has to be a variable and can't be an argument).

Yikes, also looks like everything that winetricks can install is just written there in line in that 20 k line bash script...

Wow, sometimes wine very much reproduces the experience of using windows
dvd Jan 18, 2022
Don't install wine with package manager/root privileges. Take a look at this for example:
https://github.com/Kron4ek/Conty
Using this you will still get .wine and some nuisances like that but you can just pull down arbitrary wine versions without compilation and installation.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.