Internet Does Not Work Over Wi-Fi (Ethernet Fine)
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
tuxintuxedo Mar 20, 2022
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyThis is /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf managed by man:systemd-resolved(8).
# Do not edit.
#
# This file might be symlinked as /etc/resolv.conf. If you're looking at
# /etc/resolv.conf and seeing this text, you have followed the symlink.
#
# This is a dynamic resolv.conf file for connecting local clients to the
# internal DNS stub resolver of systemd-resolved. This file lists all
# configured search domains.
#
# Run "resolvectl status" to see details about the uplink DNS servers
# currently in use.
#
# Third party programs should typically not access this file directly, but only
# through the symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a
# different way, replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.
#
# See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported modes of
# operation for /etc/resolv.conf.

nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad
search Home
I am not sure what the last two lines are doing, but I have doubts about whether they are really needed.
whizse Mar 20, 2022
It seems you have some sort of DNS issue. If you can ping Google (8.8.8.8) you clearly have an Internet connection, though not a particularly useful one...

I haven't used systemd-resolved for DNS so I'm not sure how much advice I can give, but running resolvectl status as the /etc/resolv.conf file suggests might be helpful, especially if you can compare DNS settings between the wired and the wifi connections.
Shmerl Mar 20, 2022
What kind of WiFi card do you have? In my experience, anything but Intel WiFi on Linux is usually a major pain to use especially when compatibility with routers is in question.
14 Mar 21, 2022
Do your NIC and WiFi interfaces have different IP addresses?
DHCP or static?
Do you have another device on the network that is already using the same IP as the WiFi interface?
Can you ping your WiFi address from another device on the network?
Does your WiFi access point set all the clients in isolation mode and you didn't add your DNS server as pass-through?
Cyba.Cowboy Mar 21, 2022
Quoting: whizseI haven't used systemd-resolved for DNS so I'm not sure how much advice I can give, but running resolvectl status as the /etc/resolv.conf file suggests might be helpful, especially if you can compare DNS settings between the wired and the wifi connections.

Here's the output when using my Wi-Fi (wireless) connection:

Global
       Protocols: -LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
resolv.conf mode: stub

Link 2 (enp3s0)
Current Scopes: none
     Protocols: -DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported

Link 3 (wlp1s0)
    Current Scopes: DNS
         Protocols: +DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
Current DNS Server: 192.168.20.1
       DNS Servers: 192.168.20.1
        DNS Domain: Home

And here's the output when using my ethernet (physical) connection:

Global
       Protocols: -LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
resolv.conf mode: stub

Link 2 (enp3s0)

Link 3 (wlp1s0)

Quoting: ShmerlWhat kind of WiFi card do you have? In my experience, anything but Intel WiFi on Linux is usually a major pain to use especially when compatibility with routers is in question.

According to HardInfo / System Profiler and Benchmark, my Sony SVJ20215CG VAIO Tap 20 has an 'Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135 (rev c4)'.

Quoting: 14Do your NIC and WiFi interfaces have different IP addresses?
DHCP or static?

How do I check this?

Quoting: 14Do you have another device on the network that is already using the same IP as the WiFi interface?

I'm only using my ISP's NetComm NF18ACV - it supported faster speeds than my last router, and I'm waiting until "Wi-Fi 6E" becomes commonplace before I replace my router yet again (my last router cost ~AU$900!)... But it's interface is garbage and confusing, compared to my old router.

My last router was rubbish and I'll never buy a Netgear router again; but I'll give credit where credit is due, and its interface was fantastic, both in the "basic" view" and the "advanced" view... Anyway, not really too sure how to check this with my current router, though I'll update this post or post again if I work it out.

Quoting: 14Can you ping your WiFi address from another device on the network?

The IP address of the computer I'm having issues with - the Sony SVJ20215CG VAIO Tap 20 - is the IP address shown in the 'IPv4 Address" section of the 'Details' tab of the (connected wireless) network, right?

I get the same result as shown here...

Quoting: 14Does your WiFi access point set all the clients in isolation mode and you didn't add your DNS server as pass-through?

I'm not even going to pretend to know what you're asking here...
Shmerl Mar 21, 2022
QuoteAccording to HardInfo / System Profiler and Benchmark, my Sony SVJ20215CG VAIO Tap 20 has an 'Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135 (rev c4)'.

That's a pretty old card, but not sure if it's the issue here.
tuxintuxedo Mar 21, 2022
Quoting: Shmerl
QuoteAccording to HardInfo / System Profiler and Benchmark, my Sony SVJ20215CG VAIO Tap 20 has an 'Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135 (rev c4)'.

That's a pretty old card, but not sure if it's the issue here.
It shouldn't be. He already said that it works with other distributions, Pop! OS is the source of the problem.
Cyba.Cowboy Mar 21, 2022
Quoting: tuxintuxedoIt shouldn't be. He already said that it works with other distributions, Pop! OS is the source of the problem.

Do you reckon it's possible that something went screwy during the installation of Pop!_OS, and the driver was corrupted or something? It seems awfully strange that Pop!_OS 21.10 - which is based on Ubuntu 21.10 and in its current form, doesn't really change all that much - has connectivity issues, but Ubuntu 21.10 does not...
tuxintuxedo Mar 21, 2022
I don't believe there was something wrong with the installation (in that case you would experience other problems as well). Pop! OS guys like to tinker with the software (including the base), so that is more likely the case here.
I remember a few years ago I had an awful experience with Linux Mint. I don't know what they did, but after an update one of my hand written bash programs stopped working. It worked on any other distribution, including its Ubuntu counterpart. I am sure they fixed it not long after, but that was a big letdown for me.
Arehandoro Mar 21, 2022
What do you see when you go to Wi-Fi settings and select the IPV4 tab? Are DNS and Routes sliders set to automatic? Do they have any info in the boxes below? What happens if you disable automatic DNS and enter in the box Google or Cloudflare DNS servers? (After entering the DNS servers, disconnect and connect again to your Wi-Fi)

The way to enter the servers in the box would be like this:

1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8

Last edited by Arehandoro on 21 March 2022 at 2:58 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.