Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
How to capture screen on Wayland with pipewire?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
peta77 Feb 27
SSR uses ffmpeg or libav (depending on availability) under the hood, so if you're willing to dig through the source code it may help you to acquire the command line options....
whizse Feb 27
kmsgrab is probably the only way to do it using only ffmpeg. You can crop the recording to only the location of the window you want. Something like this works for me:

ffmpeg -device /dev/dri/card0 -f kmsgrab -framerate 60 -i - -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -vf 'hwmap=derive_device=vaapi,crop=1434:650:974:774,scale_vaapi=w=1435:h=650:format=nv12' -c:v hevc_vaapi -qp 18 -y output-file.mkv

But it's downright messy. You need to figure out the window co-ordinates and the drivers seem very picky. Notice that the scale width is 1 pixel wider than the crop. I get a ton of errors and video full of noise without it...
whizse Feb 27
Quoting: peta77Does SimpleScreenRecorder support wayland nowadays? I don't know and the SSR-Homepage doesn't say anything about it. Haven't looked at the source either.
But it's simple and does wonderfully capture screen and audio.
From perusing the Github issue tracker it seems to be X11 only, and development seems to be in maintenance mode for now. A pity since it seems to be quite useful!
Shmerl Feb 27
Quoting: whizsekmsgrab is probably the only way to do it using only ffmpeg

KDE developers say to avoid kmsgrab, it's just completely not suitable for the task and will get even more broken as they explain. Too bad ffmpeg doesn't yet implement pipewire screen capture.

I tried it and it didn't even work in the first place. Too many issues to dig into the method that's wrong anyway.

Last edited by Shmerl on 27 February 2024 at 5:33 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.