Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Computer names. Do you have a theme, and if so what is it?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
itscalledreality Aug 26, 2022
I use a system but only name devices sometimes. The names are based off of my college nickname. So the result is something like:

FALCONBOX (big rig)
FALCONTOP (laptop)
FALCONMOBILE (phone)
FALCONNET (12 port networking switch)
FALCONPI (raspberry pi)

Which isn’t very original and is very “Batman”. But more so Adam West, less Robert Pattison.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 26 August 2022 at 9:32 pm UTC
Pengling Aug 26, 2022
Quoting: itscalledrealityFALCONMOBILE (phone)
I was half-expecting this to be a car, instead!

Now I'm curious as to how the nickname came about, if you don't mind me asking.
itscalledreality Aug 27, 2022
Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: itscalledrealityFALCONMOBILE (phone)
I was half-expecting this to be a car, instead!

Now I'm curious as to how the nickname came about, if you don't mind me asking.

It's a reference to the portability of a hand held device. Just wanted something that wasn't FALCONPHONE so I was thinking of alternatives to "phone" and "mobile" is a common European usage of the word. Then later I realized it sounded like BATMOBILE. The Batman trend is unintentional crypto-mnesia, the nickname sprang out of a joke about a very egocentric person who embodied the name FALCON, so unintentional coincidence with Batman. I say that because I've only ever watched the movies and never read the comics.
Pengling Aug 27, 2022
Quoting: itscalledrealityIt's a reference to the portability of a hand held device. Just wanted something that wasn't FALCONPHONE so I was thinking of alternatives to "phone" and "mobile" is a common European usage of the word. Then later I realized it sounded like BATMOBILE.
Heheh, I knew that it was about phones right away, but yeah, it really does sound a lot like the Batmobile if you parse it wrongly.

Quoting: itscalledrealityThe Batman trend is unintentional crypto-mnesia, the nickname sprang out of a joke about a very egocentric person who embodied the name FALCON, so unintentional coincidence with Batman. I say that because I've only ever watched the movies and never read the comics.
I wish that I had a name-origin that good - my username here is purely a result of the actor Benedict Cumberbatch being unable to pronounce "penguin".
Cyril Aug 28, 2022
Quoting: PenglingI wish that I had a name-origin that good - my username here is purely a result of the actor Benedict Cumberbatch being unable to pronounce "penguin".
Ahah, no, it's wonderful!
minfaer Aug 28, 2022
Quoting: sourpuzOnly thing missing is a NAS called Fishbed!

Great, now I am shopping for parts again!
Pengling Aug 29, 2022
Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: PenglingI wish that I had a name-origin that good - my username here is purely a result of the actor Benedict Cumberbatch being unable to pronounce "penguin".
Ahah, no, it's wonderful!
Then some genius went and cast him in The Penguins of Madagascar!

Anyway, thankyou!
sourpuz Aug 29, 2022
Quoting: minfaer
Quoting: sourpuzOnly thing missing is a NAS called Fishbed!

Great, now I am shopping for parts again!

Be sure to slap a big, red star on it!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.