Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Comment Censoring
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
May 11, 2014
So, I just said "shit" in a comment, and it was then replaced by three asterisks.

While I totally understand the desire for reduced usage of swearing, I'm not keen on the automatic censorship of it. Perhaps a notice could appear, if it detects a listed word, to let you know that it would be best if you could reword and a button to comment anyway.

Also, I was able to circumvent this system by editing my post and then adding the word in again; not sure if that's intended or a bug.

Edit: The above worked for this post as well.
HadBabits May 12, 2014
Yeah, it always make me sad when a troll comes round Steam and I can't tell them to piss off.
Hamish May 12, 2014
Quoting: HadBabitsYeah, it always make me sad when a troll comes round Steam and I can't tell them to piss off.

Of course by some people's definition telling people to piss off is trolling. As is swearing.

It all depends on your perspective.
May 12, 2014
Quoting: HamishIt all depends on your perspective.

Either way it's censorship; and that makes me sad.
Liam Dawe May 12, 2014
I'm actually working on such a system that will put up a warning when you go to comment with a detected swear-word.

I am trying to make GOL a friendlier place that's all, none of this "omg gols being censored" arguments please :P
Liam Dawe May 12, 2014
If you want to test this system of warning with me, hop onto #gamingonlinux IRC on freenode.
May 12, 2014
Quoting: liamdaweI am trying to make GOL a friendlier place that's all, none of this "omg gols being censored" arguments please :P

No worries, I get it. This had just appeared out of nowhere (as far as I could see), and I wanted to make sure that you know some people aren't as keen on the idea. Gentle notices and information (as well as perhaps clearer policy and more defined "site changes" ) to suggest the type of community you are looking to grow would be better in the long run.

But the actual concept is greater than just GOL; just as I'm sure most of us are advocates of free / libre / open software, it would be slightly hypocritical to say that free speech is bad.

Got to take the rough with the smooth.

Do you have a mailing list? I prefer that over IRC these days.
Liam Dawe May 12, 2014
I don't use mailing lists, all editor discussion about site stuff is usually on IRC or the editor discussion post in the feedback forum (keep an eye there if you want to see changes).
May 12, 2014
I did have a look through the Editors discussion, but I couldn't see any reference to enabling this (since March at least) -- I said f**king in my reply to your "likes" post, so it was after that.

Perhaps a more formal place to make announcements like this that isn't in the main news feed? Like a Site News subcategory in the forums? Obviously the discussion thread and IRC are great places to talk about if something should be implemented or not, but coming from a position of not reading those and then seeing the censoring in place, it makes it difficult to see what happened or why.

Perhaps you could have a javascript filter that does the censoring instead, so people have a "filter swear words" option in their control panel and they can switch between on / off?
tuubi May 12, 2014
Quoting: edgleyBut the actual concept is greater than just GOL; just as I'm sure most of us are advocates of free / libre / open software, it would be slightly hypocritical to say that free speech is bad.

Censoring swearwords does not limit free speech in any meaningful way. It can be called censorship only if the aim is to suppress dissenting opinion or prevent free exchange of information as opposed to simply filtering rude language. Forums need efficient and judicious moderation as evidenced by disasters like the Phoronix forums.
May 12, 2014
Quoting: tuubiCensoring swearwords does not limit free speech in any meaningful way. It can be called censorship only if the aim is to suppress dissenting opinion or prevent free exchange of information as opposed to simply filtering rude language.

"Meaningful" being the key word -- what is meaningful to you is different to me, and both are different to any other person.

Censorship is controlling the freedom of expression. Saying you can't swear is censorship. I agree that it's not remotely as drastic as the type of censorship in politics (like gag orders), but it's not *not* censorship just because you don't think it's important.

It's also less "just one of those things" when it's not always been in place and not obviously disclosed when it is activated.

Quoting: tuubiForums need efficient and judicious moderation as evidenced by disasters like the Phoronix forums.

This is not the Phoronix forum. Also, see by above suggestion which meets roughly in the middle.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.