Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
NTFS access
abouzar Jan 23, 2023
Hi to all Linux community specially gamers.
Till yesterday I used dual boot windows 10 and nobara.
Ditched windows and fully migrated to linux. heres the problem now I can't access full control on my NTFS partition.( Just read)
When it was dual I knew had to shutdown windows properly.but don't know what should I do now.

Edited fstab file but no success.
Any help?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Linas Jan 23, 2023
Take a look at ntfs-3g. That's the best NTFS implementation for Linux that I am aware of.

In the long run though, if you are no longer using Windows, you may want to copy your data to another disk somewhere, and format your NTFS partition to something more Linux-friendly, like ext4.
tuxintuxedo Jan 23, 2023
The last time you used Windows you didn't shut it down properly and it became like this. There is a Terminal software called ntfsfix.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

Of course you should use the proper partition label.
Avehicle7887 Jan 25, 2023
You could try turning off hibernation and fast boot in Windows. Those 2 features caused me many headaches with the read only problem.
dpanter Mar 25, 2023
Quoting: LinasTake a look at ntfs-3g. That's the best NTFS implementation for Linux that I am aware of.
We have mainline NTFS support since kernel 5.15 effectively replacing the crusty ntfs-3g. Of course no one should be using NTFS at all but if you absolutely must, then only use ntfs3.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.