Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Linus, creator of Linux, being “woke” as heck
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Grogan Jun 10, 2023
About Linus, he takes a lot of shit for being abrasive, but he's a nice man. If he scolds you for bad coding, he's half joking (only half) and he'd help you. He's most often being jovial.

I followed the kernel mailing list back in the old days for years and read many of his interactions. He got involved in a discussion with me and a driver maintainer and was super good to me. Basically it went like this "Tell Gigabyte to fix your broken BIOS". Linus got involved, and suddenly that guy's attitude changed. I mentioned that the device worked correctly in Windows, and Linus told me to get the same info that lspci supplies, so they could see what resources the Windows driver was using. (board vendors tweak i/o and memory ranges etc.) So I found a utility that gave the exact info as lspci -vv, in almost the same format.

When I returned with that info, Linus gave me a huge lesson on why the problem was occurring. I'm not much of a programmer and I felt really silly that he was spending his time on me like that. The driver got fixed though. I appreciated the Hell out of that.
wvstolzing Jun 11, 2023
Quoting: CyrilLinus is a good guy? I'm not surprised.

He tried pretty hard in the early years to establish himself as (his words) 'not a do-gooder. a fundamentally selfish person', etc. (I gather this from his talks and the occasional article; I haven't read the autobiography or anything.) -- Possibly to distance himself from diehard FSF people. Though pretty obviously he's of a different character altogether from both the old-school software tycoons, as well as (heaven forbid) the contemporary crop of so-called 'tech bros'.

btw - if a person is stupid, and *clueless* enough to call the NYT, of all publications—one of the premier 'consent manufacturing' organs of the US Empire & all the financial/military interests bound up with it—'communist', they deserve a much harsher response. You don't get to recycle alex jones level soundbytes to quarrel with Linus.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.