Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
What would get you to use the Forum more?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Jun 15, 2023
Another idea I did have: post tagging.

Just like articles, perhaps I can let people specifically tag forum posts as something. And clicking the tag would go to a list of forum posts also tagged like it.

The problem with the main category + forum system, is that it is quite an "old forum" way of doing it. So to help people find what they want and post what they want, maybe it might be a good idea?

What do you peeps think?

I wouldn't retire the traditional category/forum view right away (and perhaps not ever since it takes no effort to keep it - maybe just restructure them), but this could help activity and searching more.
Shmerl Jun 15, 2023
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: ShmerlI thought one idea was to add a forum thread for trends / stats page? Since discussions about their changes are usually spread between periodic monthly posts which arrive before stats page is updated.
Anyone can make such a topic if they want, doesn't need to be me :D

Sure, but it would work better if the topic is associated with stats page. Like appears right below it for example?
Liam Dawe Jun 15, 2023
I've added a topic for it, and it's now linked on the stats page top and bottom.
Pengling Jun 16, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweThe problem with the main category + forum system, is that it is quite an "old forum" way of doing it. So to help people find what they want and post what they want, maybe it might be a good idea?

What do you peeps think?

I wouldn't retire the traditional category/forum view right away (and perhaps not ever since it takes no effort to keep it - maybe just restructure them), but this could help activity and searching more.
Tagging sounds like a good idea, but please don't retire the traditional view - that still has its place too (though I'm certainly not opposed to a restructure), since sometimes looking through things the "tag way" can feel like it's an overwhelming bit-bucket!
eldaking Jun 16, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweAnother idea I did have: post tagging.

Just like articles, perhaps I can let people specifically tag forum posts as something. And clicking the tag would go to a list of forum posts also tagged like it.

The problem with the main category + forum system, is that it is quite an "old forum" way of doing it. So to help people find what they want and post what they want, maybe it might be a good idea?

What do you peeps think?

My problem with tags is that it would be "harder" to use it - i.e., people would forget, not bother, or do it wrong. If posts are tagged inconsistently, it undermines the whole system - you do not in fact see the threads you would want under the tag, and must resort to other methods of searching. Or people might misuse certain tags and you get misplaced results, or everyone just posts everything with only very general tags. This could be mitigated by having a limited and curated set of tags... but in general, I don't trust tags for posts by a crowd of people. It is great for blogs, where it is the same person (or few people) doing it so consistent, and great for archival projects where accurate and extensive cataloging is a focus. For forums, I have my doubts.
Liam Dawe Jun 16, 2023
I get your point but I feel that applies to any user-made posts in any kind of category system. This isn’t a high traffic forum anyway and I would be able to easily remove/add tags as well. I think the pros outweigh the cons for it?
Klaas Jun 16, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweI think the pros outweigh the cons for it?
Definitely. If it does not work due to too many wrong tags a tag voting system could help (i.e. someone suggests a tag and several other people have to confirm), but that is probably overkill.
eldaking Jun 16, 2023
Yeah I don't think there is a drawback - worst case is it does nothing.

Quoting: Liam DaweI get your point but I feel that applies to any user-made posts in any kind of category system.

A single mandatory "tag" (a category) is just very easy. Less powerful for sure, but hard to get wrong and easy to enforce. It sets a bare minimum of effectiveness xD
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.