Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
GOL User Stats Discussion
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
Pengling Jul 3, 2023
Quoting: ShmerlYou'd think gamers care more than most about reduced motion blur and lower input latency to use anything better than 60 Hz when they upgrade. But current usage somehow doesn't reflect it. May be it means it's not something they care as much versus other features?
I can't speak for anyone else, but this has just never come up for me - the sorts of games I play don't call for it, and I'm a portables user who doesn't have very heavy or expensive computing requirements so I currently own no hardware that offers it and won't for a long time.

Quoting: XpanderSo few people seem to use MATE desktop.
I've tried it, but it's just not for me, so I've continued to stick with Xfce (with compositor off, to avoid gaming-related issues that I sometimes hear people reporting about).
Xpander Jul 3, 2023
Quoting: EhvisI wanted to, but the marco compositor is effectively preventing me from doing so. I just can't get a smooth desktop experience out of it.

Yeah i don't use marco compositor (its slow and software based), but It has option for GPU compositor also, which is picom and is very responsive and smooth. Its found in the mate-tweak settings

edit: i personally mostly run without any compositor at all. Dont really care about the desktop effects anyway :)

Last edited by Xpander on 3 July 2023 at 4:42 pm UTC
Grogan Jul 3, 2023
I've been used to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz for so long, I don't care. I'd need more of a video card for higher res, and a smooth 60 Hz vsync is fine for me. I don't play twitchy COD-like multiplayer stuff anymore (that was 90 FPS back in those days and people had CRT monitors)

P.S. Now that my memory has been jogged somehow, I remember it being "91" FPS on the client side in early COD multiplayer and not limited by the game, in the campaign. The good old days when we ran our own linux server binaries on our webservers etc., and had all kinds of community maps and mods.

Last edited by Grogan on 4 July 2023 at 2:49 am UTC
amatai Jul 3, 2023
I would have two suggestion :
The first is to had a steam deck ownership because I can't believe that only 4% of GoL users in the statistics has a steam deck. It is interesting to see that very few people use it as a main gaming machine through even if it's increasing steadily.

The second is probably not happening but that was very nice to have the number a game bought by month and the store used. I don't remember what was the reasoning against it. Maybe a main store category would be ok ?
Shmerl Jul 3, 2023
Quoting: GroganI've been used to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz for so long, I don't care. I'd need more of a video card for higher res, and a smooth 60 Hz vsync is fine for me. I don't play twitchy COD-like multiplayer stuff anymore (that was 90 FPS back in those days and people had CRT monitors)

I don't play COD like games either, but I appreciate better motion clarity and smoothness thanks to high refresh rate.

And it's not limited to games actually. Compare text scrolling between 60 Hz and 144 Hz and you'll right away notice what I mean.

Last edited by Shmerl on 3 July 2023 at 5:28 pm UTC
WORM Jul 3, 2023
Is "Steam Controller" meant to refer to both the actual Steam Controller and the built-in controller on the Steam Deck? Or should I sell my Steam Controller because there's a huge demand for it out there?
Grogan Jul 4, 2023
Quoting: ShmerlI don't play COD like games either, but I appreciate better motion clarity and smoothness thanks to high refresh rate.

And it's not limited to games actually. Compare text scrolling between 60 Hz and 144 Hz and you'll right away notice what I mean.

I know, I've seen better, worked on better for other people etc.

It's just that ever since my switch from CRT (late as always, dragged kicking and screaming to the party), all I've ever had were 60 Hz LCD's, even so called gaming monitors with fast pixel response times (but shitty mode switching times, my last two Viewsonic's) and 60 Hz. Refresh rate used to bother me with CRT monitors, but it's just emulated for the necessary timings to interface with it etc. now, there's no actual refreshing going on in that sense.

I prefer a smooth 60 FPS because of other hardware limitations, but I can turn off vsync and have higher frame rates in some games and wouldn't see too much tearing unless the FPS was absurdly high. That's more the pixel response time of the display limiting that, rather than refresh rate.

I don't vsync anything outside of games, no compositors here.

Actually that's not completely true, while I don't at the "desktop" level, my Firefox browser is a compositor. I don't even use "smooth scrolling" in it though. I'll have to try turning it on again. (When the accelerated canvas stuff was new-ish, it was less prone to garbled corruption issues without it). My scroll wheel probably does what looks like 10 lines per notch, and yes I prefer a notched wheel with a bit of resistance rather than those smooth style ones that always roll inappropriately on me when middle clicked lol

Anyway, you're obviously right, those are just the reasons why I don't really bother, for now. I'm facing the trauma of being forced to change again soon, and a new display will need to be a part of it.
rcrit Jul 16, 2023
A followup. I checked and it turns out I bought my current 60Hz monitor in 2015. I think 8 years is a good life as primary before moving to secondary. I picked up an ASUS TUF 27" on sale. It's 144Hz and so far so good. I think the only thing I might miss is the 16:10 but it hasn't been a problem so far after a few hours.

I also bought a 3090ti off Ebay. The Ti is more than I need, particularly the 450 W bit, but I somehow got it for less than 3090's were selling for. All in, plus a new PSU to handle the load, I'm in for about $1200. So not a "few grand" as I had expected.

So cheers for pushing back on my expectations :-)

PS

I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to change the refresh rate. The nvidia-settings app was no help, AFAICT it only displays the rate with no way to change it.. It is very easily done on the KDE Display settings page. So 144Hhz primary, 60Hz seconds and so far no issues.
mr-victory Jul 18, 2023
I find it weird that dual-boot and single-boot user ratio stays the same.
Shmerl Jul 18, 2023
Quoting: mr-victoryI find it weird that dual-boot and single-boot user ratio stays the same.

I think it went down around the time Proton was enabled in Steam (which makes sense). But then it became relatively flat again.

Last edited by Shmerl on 18 July 2023 at 11:39 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.