Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Little performance fix implemented
Liam Dawe Oct 14, 2023
So two things in the last day:

- Turns out our Redis install was broken. Redis is a cache system that can speed up various things with PHP (if actually used). GOL uses it in a few places, so this was a problem. It's now fixed. Turns out I didn't have anything in place to tell me if Redis wasn't available, woops, I do now.

- We're now using Redis to store article views, instead of hitting the database to update each individual view. I noticed recently some stalls, which was the SQL server timing out at times from lots of visits during heavier traffic. The database gets updated every 30 minutes via a cron to match up the Redis views cache to the database row for articles. This one single thing should improve load times a fair bit.
Liam Dawe Oct 14, 2023
Oh and if you didn't notice, I changed the featured article system on the home page. Now two instead of three, and it re-uses the same image as the home page article to match and means one less image we have to find, edit and upload each time. Makes it much simpler for us to set and use.

Not entirely sure on the title placement at the top, might put it back to the bottom. Might also add a "Featured" icon of some kind to it - thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 14 October 2023 at 2:11 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.