Kona (II) Brume
Grogan Oct 18, 2023
Kona Brume (they seem to have dropped the II from the name depending where you look) is finally released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229020/Kona_II_Brume/

QuoteNorthern Québec, 1970: A mining village is enveloped in a distorted reality by a mysterious mist—the Brume. Step back into your role as Detective Carl Faubert, now tasked with uncovering the enigmatic origins of this disruptive force. Navigate the snow-swept landscapes and encounter stranded victims and survivors of a devastating avalanche. Your ultimate mission: to trace the dark secret behind the Brume and strive to eliminate it.

Say what you want about Unity (and rightly so) but this game has been in the works for years and I've been waiting for it.

The Linux version seems to work well out of the box (current amdgpu/Mesa), settings all turned up to High.

The game starts off the same as the demo, only there are more objects to pick up in the first cabin. You get flashlight and revolver straight away etc.

What I like so much about these games is the way he's captured and depicted rural 1970's Quebec from what it's like to drive on wintery back roads to the stubby beer bottles of my youth. "Lebrun 60" (Labatts 50... he'd have to be around my age to remember that in stubby bottles). I get a kick out of the renamed brands, with similar logos. In the first game, another one was "Apple Jacques" cereal lol

Some more new things... there's a setting for the narrator, minimal or full. That's one of the complaints I saw about Kona, that there was too much narration. I disagree (and chose Full narration), but it's good to see a game dev that listens.

Difficulty settings are "Detective" (less maintenance of character, low combat difficulty etc.), "Adventurer" and "Survivalist" where you have to consume things etc. I chose Detective, as that's what these games are to me and I don't like arbitrary game difficulty.

Anyway, if you can stomach Unity, this looks to be a great game with Linux support (I haven't played past what I already know yet from the demo but I can say it's at least as good as that)

Last edited by Grogan on 18 October 2023 at 7:06 pm UTC
Ehvis Oct 18, 2023
Oh cool! I enjoyed the first one. This could be something to play through next week!
PublicNuisance Oct 18, 2023
I loved the first one but may hold off on the sequel. I liked that the first was available DRM free but so far the sequel is only on Steam. Given that they didn't self publish this one and went with an external publisher I doubt the DFRM free release will be forthcoming.
Raaben Oct 19, 2023
Quoting: GroganThe Linux version seems to work well out of the box (current amdgpu/Mesa), settings all turned up to High.

Unfortunately on my end, I have a bad flickering issue when moving especially when zooming the view, and performance is not good. There's also like a ~2/3 chance when launching there will be a grey bar along the top of the screen pushing the content down and misaligning the UI with the mouse. Changing the window settings doesn't help, and toggling vsync off crashes the game. Disappointing, as the first ran flawlessly.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.