Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Greenlight and Ethics
HadBabits Aug 9, 2014
I've had this on my mind lately, but I've rarely seen anyone else bring it up: Is it ethical to trade votes for keys on Steam Greenlight? I would think it would be against the rules, but no one's caused a stir. Terrible games like Gary's Incident and Grass Simulator 2014 have soared to the top of Greenlight via this method. Can we assume that gamers are very willing to give any passing game a vote if it means they get a free game at some point? And if so I think it's clear that Valve needs to ban this practice immediately.

However, I didn't just come here to rant. Since, as I said, I've yet to see this get brought up, I would like some perspective. Please lend your thoughts on this matter.
EKRboi Aug 10, 2014
Quoting: GuestValve is going to remove greenlight and let anyone put anything on Steam anyway.

Oh god.. please say this is speculation. source? EDIT* nm I found it. I really hope it's not really a
"let anyone put anything on Steam" type of thing.. that could be bad.

As for OP. I look at it like this. If a developer needs to give away keys to get greenlit.. it's very likely they will just be wasting their own time and money developing a game nobody is going to want. Not to mention it just looks bad. IMO steam should put an end to it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.