Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
When (if) Valve actually releases the new SteamOS to the public beyond Steam Deck, are you going to switch to it?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Linux_Rocks Dec 26, 2023
I probably won't unless there's some amazing reason to. What about you folks?

Highball Dec 26, 2023
I would use it for a Steam Machine. I'm currently using my Steam Deck as a console for my TV. It works great, but when I get some cash together I'm going to build a badass gaming console. If Steam OS is released then I'll give it a go. If not, then I will try one of the other console like distros, Chimera or something.

Last edited by Highball on 26 December 2023 at 7:13 pm UTC
damarrin Dec 26, 2023
On my computer that can play games certainly not, as that will need a more general distro. But if I ever make a gaming machine for under the TV? Certainly yes.
BlackBloodRum Dec 26, 2023
It would be quite unlikely, I just don't have a real need for such a gaming specific distro since games are more of a secondary usage on my machines rather than primary.
denyasis Dec 26, 2023
Add to the fact they appear to have fixed up remote play quite a bit recently and instead of building a living room PC to game on, I can use a lower powered PC and simply stream to it from the beefier desktop. It's an order of magnitude cheaper.
WorMzy Dec 26, 2023
No, Arch meets my needs.
CatKiller Dec 27, 2023
Absolutely not.

I don't like the Valve Time update schedule; I don't trust Valve's testing and support capabilities for generic hardware; and I don't like the restrictions caused by the read only filesystem and A/B update mechanism.

For a gaming appliance or HTPC on generic hardware I would (and do) run a generic well-supported distro.
Pengling Dec 27, 2023
I'm curious to see how well it will work when the time comes, but for desktop use I'll be sticking with Mint, which has proven itself to be the best fit for my use-case.
pleasereadthemanual Dec 27, 2023
I've discovered that Arch is the only distro I can stand for longer than a month. SteamOS is Arch without most of the things I like about Arch.

Besides, most of my gaming is done outside of Steam, so the Steam-centric part of the distro is kind of lost on me. I get that this is rare for most players around here, though.
dvd Dec 27, 2023
no, unless guix progresses significantly for me to use it, the only install i want to do is installing debian on the router. Which is also unprobable since i have no money for a more capable one.
Linux_Rocks Dec 27, 2023
Quoting: CatKillerAbsolutely not.

I don't like the Valve Time update schedule; I don't trust Valve's testing and support capabilities for generic hardware; and I don't like the restrictions caused by the read only filesystem and A/B update mechanism.
I didn't know about the read-only file system. Now it's a hard pass from me. I already hate how locked down macOS has become because of Apple's obsessive walled garden bullshit. A read-only file system is a no go for me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.