Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Latex help
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
razing32 Feb 6
Hey there

Need some help

Trying to write a resume using this class :
https://github.com/ridhamdave/resume-latex/blob/master/resume.cls

Checking i have the home directory :

kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFHOME

/home/razing/texmf

I've run texhash to update :

$ texhash /home/razing/texmf

texhash: Updating /home/razing/texmf/ls-R... texhash: Done.

$ ls ~/texmf      

ls-R  resume.cls  tex  texput.log

Sadly running pdftex gives the following :

$ pdftex cv.tex

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.25 (TeX Live 2023/Arch Linux) (preloaded format=pdftex) restricted \write18 enabled. entering extended mode (./cv.tex ! Undefined control sequence. l.1 \documentclass {resume} ? ! Undefined control sequence. l.2 \begin {document} ? ! Undefined control sequence. l.3 \name {} ? ! Undefined control sequence. l.4 \address {} ? ! Undefined control sequence. l.5 \address { } ? ! Argument of \ has an extra }. <inserted text> \par <to be read again> } }

? Runaway argument?

! Paragraph ended before \ was complete. <to be read again> \par <to be read again> } }

? [1{/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] )</usr/share/texmf-dist/ fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb> Output written on cv.pdf (1 page, 17282 bytes). Transcript written on cv.log.

Not sure what i am doing wrong.
It feels like it is not finding the class at all but i have put it in the directory and updated it.
( note also asked this on reddit)
razing32 Feb 7
It seems the ls-R file sees the class :

cat ls-R
% ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.
./:
.:
ls-R
resume.cls
tex

./tex:
latex

./tex/latex:
resume.cls
razing32 Feb 7
Upate
Someone of reddit pointed out i was using pdftex and not pdflatex as i should have been.
I did change it but i am again stuck with an empty file for an of the references from the custom class file.
dvd Feb 7
You are doing something strange here, i have never used either of these commands before to load a style file. Are you loading it in your cv.(la)tex file?

Last edited by dvd on 7 February 2024 at 8:54 am UTC
razing32 Feb 7
Quoting: dvdYou are doing something strange here, i have never used either of these commands before to load a style file. Are you loading it in your cv.(la)tex file?

It's a class file , not a stlye file
As far as i understand it you place it in ~/texmf/tex/latex/ adn then run texhash to update the tree which tells latex how to find files .
All i want is that one class file that has structures for a resume but for some reason it feels like rocket science trying to load it.
xavi Feb 7
I always used LyX and it was helpful for me. Maybe it solves your problem.
dvd Feb 8
Have you tried just putting it in the same directory?
razing32 Feb 9
Quoting: xaviI always used LyX and it was helpful for me. Maybe it solves your problem.

Does it handle custom classes and styles by itself or is it just a frontend ?
razing32 Feb 9
Quoting: dvdHave you tried just putting it in the same directory?
Yup , first thing i tried.
dvd Feb 9
maybe you deleted something, or introduced commands from an unloaded package. I just cloned the git repo on my computer to a random folder and pdflatex compiled the example just fine.

Latex error messages are unhelpful enough that we can speculate and never get the problem, hard to tell sometimes even looking at the original. Can you maybe share your file with the personal data deleted? What kind of edits have you made to the original example file?
razing32 Feb 10
Quoting: dvdmaybe you deleted something, or introduced commands from an unloaded package. I just cloned the git repo on my computer to a random folder and pdflatex compiled the example just fine.

Latex error messages are unhelpful enough that we can speculate and never get the problem, hard to tell sometimes even looking at the original. Can you maybe share your file with the personal data deleted? What kind of edits have you made to the original example file?

I did not delete anything. I just added the class file and updated the tree structure to hopefully find it.
Latex by itself works fine , just the class file does not.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.