Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Amnesia: Rebirth crashing and texture flickering
ugly Feb 17
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Desktop Environment: Cinnamon 6.0.4
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 570 Series (radeonsi polaris10 LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.54 6.5.0-18-generic)
GPU Driver Version: Mesa 24.0.1 - kisak-mesa PPA

Have you checked for system updates?: [Yes]

If this is to do with Steam, please add your system read-out from Steam -> Help -> System Information (please put that into Pastebin/Gist as linked above!): Gist link

You can note your issue below here

I've been trying to play Amnesia: Rebirth. The game has not run well. There's a lot of texture flickering, particular in outdoor areas. And the game crashes often. I created a Mesa Bug report: Mesa Bug Report

The Mesa Bug report also has some screenshots and I uploaded some save files.

I was able to play through most of the game, but I think I'm at the last location, and the crashing has gotten really bad. So I gave up after I made the bug report. But it seemed like the Dev who looked into it couldn't recreate the issue.

I tried it again a few days ago since I've had some kernel updates and Mesa updates, and the game is even worse now. I can't even load into the gameplay anymore. After I load my save file, the level loads, and instead of going to the gameplay, I'll get a multicolor screen and then it drops me into the OS login screen, or I have to do a hard reset.

I remember playing the game shortly after it came out for a couple hours and didn't have any problems. I was thinking of doing some more testing, maybe trying another distro.

But I figured I'd ask here first. Maybe someone who has the game can see if they can load it up. In the Mesa Bug report, I uploaded some save files that were in some problematic areas. I can provide a save file for the last area I'm in that is even worse, if needed.

Anybody else have issues with Amnesia: Rebirth?
nebadon2025 Feb 17
You could try running it with Zink the OpenGL to Vulkan API. Try launching the game with this in the properties. Otherwise if that doesnt work you could try proton maybe?

MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink %command%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7QfyaX5rQ
ugly Feb 18
Quoting: nebadon2025You could try running it with Zink the OpenGL to Vulkan API. Try launching the game with this in the properties. Otherwise if that doesnt work you could try proton maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion. Attempting to use Zink results in a "FATAL ERROR Could not create window!" error on launch.

I tried Proton previously, and it has the same result (texture artifacts/flickering and crashing) as native.

I should also point out that I have not had other games do not give me similar problems. Every other game I've played has run just fine.
whizse Feb 18
There's an older report on ProtonDB with a similar error message also on Polaris 10. Might be something specific to that particular hardware?

https://www.protondb.com/app/999220#wNxacLjl2m
egostra Feb 19
Quoting: whizseThere's an older report on ProtonDB with a similar error message also on Polaris 10. Might be something specific to that particular hardware?
Yes, it seems so. I have the same issue and also a Polaris GPU (RX590). I hope that there will be a fix soon :/
whizse Feb 19
Actually, going by my notes I had a RX 570 when I played through the game in 2020 with no issues. Well, except for the bugs the game had at launch.

This does sound like a either a regression or, less likely, one of the game updates introducing some issue.
egostra Feb 19
Quoting: nebadon2025You could try running it with Zink the OpenGL to Vulkan API. Try launching the game with this in the properties. Otherwise if that doesnt work you could try proton maybe?

This solution seems to work so far. The flickering is gone and no crashes so far but some textures on the ground are missing, so that it looks like you are flying over the ground. I can "fix" this by set the "Terrain Quality" to "low".

This is the native version of the game from GOG and I launch it through lutris.

I will try it later with the windows version and proton.
ugly Feb 19
Quoting: whizseThere's an older report on ProtonDB with a similar error message also on Polaris 10. Might be something specific to that particular hardware?

https://www.protondb.com/app/999220#wNxacLjl2m
Thanks for finding that. I thought I checked ProtonDB, but I must have missed that report.

Quoting: whizseActually, going by my notes I had a RX 570 when I played through the game in 2020 with no issues. Well, except for the bugs the game had at launch.

This does sound like a either a regression or, less likely, one of the game updates introducing some issue.
Thanks for confirming. That's sort of what I remember. I bought the game, and it sat in my backlog for years. I remember testing it for about an hour when I first got it, and I don't remember any issues back then. Unfortunately, I don't remember what version of Mint I was on, what kernel or what version of Mesa.

When I get some free time I'll try and update the bug report.
whizse Feb 20
Hopefully the Mesa boffins will figure it out.

However, if you want to do some detective work and find out when the game last worked I suggest trying liveUSB (from late 2021 or early 2022?). The kind with a persistent overlay so you can install stuff. Then mount your system disk with the game on it and try it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.