Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
A Tux Open Source Game Seal
There are a lot of cool open source games out there. Most of them aren't finished, but we play them anyway, because hey, realistically, when is an open source game actually done? Several times I've sat down to try a game, but found out that unlike other OSS games, it isn't exactly at a working quality.

The idea got me thinking of Nintendo's seal of "excellence" and was wondering if we could do something similar. Like a set of bronze, silver, and goal seals that would show the game's state. I.E. gold means that the game is mostly out of development (Like SuperTuxKart) Silver means the game is playable, but there are some changes on the way (Like Endless Sky) Bronze would mean that the game is fun to play, but it's under heavy development so expect major change (Like Veloren)

Do you think this idea has some merit, or am I imagining a problem that doesn't exist?
I try a lot of open source games and generally don't feel such a system is needed. Generally the screenshots can give enough of a hint of the game's status. It also isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be. Angband has been a complete finished game for a long time but is still developed (or at least last I looked). Shippy 1984 was a complete finished game. Then I expanded on it and now it would be silver. Despite the fact that the game is just as playable as before.

The best way to promote open source game to new people is just to point them to high quality games in the genre they like. After people are interested in open source games you can start pointing out some of the other projects that are still works in progress.

That being said. Something like this might be useful for distros or flathub. Searching for games could then list the more finished games first but that would give insentive for people to lie.
Quoting: Dennis_PayneI try a lot of open source games and generally don't feel such a system is needed. Generally the screenshots can give enough of a hint of the game's status. It also isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be. Angband has been a complete finished game for a long time but is still developed (or at least last I looked). Shippy 1984 was a complete finished game. Then I expanded on it and now it would be silver. Despite the fact that the game is just as playable as before.

The best way to promote open source game to new people is just to point them to high quality games in the genre they like. After people are interested in open source games you can start pointing out some of the other projects that are still works in progress.

That being said. Something like this might be useful for distros or flathub. Searching for games could then list the more finished games first but that would give insentive for people to lie.

The whole point of the idea is to fix the whole open source thing, where I sit down to the game that says "Unstable" because literally every open source game is "Unstable" and the off chance this one is unstable/ unfinished. I was disappointed sitting down to supertux party and see how rough it was, or installing other open source games, playing them halfway through, and then being disappointed because the ending isn't made.

I agree that angband should have a gold rating, but we could adjust the rating, so gold still allows balancing (which is what Angband gets) There also might need to be exceptions for games like Shattered Pixel dungeon which the person keeps updating it even though the game is good enough now (it should get gold)

So maybe Bronze means the game's playable, and fun, but the game is rough, and you might turn around and find the entire game different. Silver means it still being worked on and unpolished, but it's not going to get major changes like 0 A.D. (which still has a lot of work, but it's not going to do anything drastic) or Supertux which I wish would be done. Finally, gold is for games which are as done as any open source game can be.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.