Fun, native single player games that will push a 1030
skinmarquee Feb 27
I'm just getting back into gaming so I'd prefer something with simple controls. For example, I tried witcher 3 and I'm just overwhelmed. I loved Fallout NV but that seems much less in depth with everything I need to remember.

Anyway, any and all genres are welcome, probably will only pick 1 this month, I just got a 1030 and looking for something that will push it but remain close to 60 fps. Thanks.
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
CatKiller Feb 27
Look at recommendations for Steam Deck games. Performance is in the same ballpark, and there are already lots of lists of those.
skinmarquee Feb 27
Quoting: CatKillerLook at recommendations for Steam Deck games. Performance is in the same ballpark, and there are already lots of lists of those.

Great idea, thanks!
skinmarquee Feb 27
Actually not too sure that's gonna work. I checked on Steam's 'verified for deck' page and Cyberpunk 2077 is on there. Minimum is a 1060 for that, and I think the 1030 is quite a bit weaker. It also says 6 GB VRAM and this has 2.

Anyway I was hesitating on buying non-native games but F it.
skinmarquee Feb 27
I made a pick! It doesn't suggest Proton compatibility, but I played the first 3 The Room games with Proton and the 4th works great. Huge fan of these games and when I saw that the 4th one was now on Steam I had to get the set.
skinmarquee Feb 27
I think it pushes a 1030 nicely. Anyone know if nvidia firmware package might help performance? The game seemed a bit slow at High detail, then I got an update (Linux Mint) including Nvidia firmware and it seems to run around ~50 FPS at High now which is quite good enough for this game. This is a fresh install of Mint so I may not have had any firmware installed or something, or it could have just been a different section of them game?

Also, is there any way to get FPS of any OpenGL game, I was just guessing at 50 FPS?

Last edited by skinmarquee on 28 February 2024 at 12:10 am UTC
CatKiller Feb 28
Quoting: skinmarqueeAlso, is there any way to get FPS of any OpenGL game, I was just guessing at 50 FPS?

Mangohud. Or Steam overlay.
skinmarquee Feb 28
Quoting: CatKillerMangohud. Or Steam overlay.

Thanks again. I was so far off... I get 15 FPS High 25 FPS Medium 1080. It's still playable though but it's a puzzle game. I'm going to have to lower my expectations if I want to play faster stuff. I have yet to try the earlier 3 games on this gpu though.

The first one is dx9 so maybe dx9 games will run better or something. Yeah I get 30 FPS in "Amazing" setting and 55 or 60 in Medium on the first in the series.

Last edited by skinmarquee on 28 February 2024 at 12:53 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.