Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Has anyone noticed any noticable performance reductions? I have no idea why it happened on my test system.
Hello guys,

I am planning a switch to Arch when my new SSD comes in, I have been testing it for over 4 months now, and to my relief it is actually getting worse performance than my Ubuntu 22.04 LTS install for the first time in Quake Champions which is one of the games I love to play in my free time.

On Ubuntu it gets 300FPS (300 being the cap which is the maximum cap for that game) and on Arch (as of recently) it gets 67-80FPS which is really unexpected, as there has been no change in the software I run on Arch (unless you include the updates I did). By the way I just did a sudo pacman -Syu and the system is up to date as of 11th April.

My GPU is an Nvidia card, I use proprietary drivers on both my machines, most specifically the 550 drivers (Arch has the 550.67 drivers and Ubuntu has the 550.54 drivers).

My DE on Arch is Plasma 6 and GNOME on Ubuntu.

I use Wayland on both systems and it pretty much is the only thing that can help me, a person who has multiple mixed refresh rate monitors. Especially with the Explicit DRM Sync merge and the upcoming 555 drivers implementing Explicit Sync in May (according to Nvidia at least) the future looks really bright.

Do you have any suggestions on what may be the reason of these problems? Also, if you do have fixes you implemented or you know of tell them.

Thank you very much for reading. If you have any questions regarding my configuration, do not hesitate, put them in the comments.

Here are the clone posts I made on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/1c1e9n2/has_anyone_noticed_any_noticable_performance/
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/1c1cg1p/arch_gets_less_fps_200fps_difference_on_my/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.