Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Recent Performance Degradation?
14 May 18
Is this only me, or have others experienced a noticeable performance drop in their Steam games somewhere in the last 2 weeks? I was getting a dependable 55-75 FPS in Helldivers 2. I was getting 60+ in Ready or Not. As of late, both games use a lot more CPU than they used to, and my FPS is lower. I only get ~50 FPS in Helldivers 2 and never more. There are small stutters that had not existed before. RoN is similar. I will only get around ~45 FPS, and I even set the graphics lower than I had before with nearly no advantage.

Since I recently converted my system partition to GPT with UEFI boot loader and flashed BIOS to latest version, then enabled 4G Decoding and enabled SMT in BIOS, I thought those things were suspect, naturally. However, I diligently retested these games by changing one setting at a time back to my older settings. The only thing I haven't tested is reverting to older BIOS version.

Am I alone here? I'm trying to whittle down the potential suspects here, like Proton for example.
Xpander May 19
I haven't noticed any performance degradation with the games i play.
Days Gone
RAGE 2
WRC Generations
Sea of Thieves
THE FINALS
Cyberpunk 2077

But im on nvidia drivers which doesn't really change much in terms of performance at least.
If you on AMD then maybe there were some kernel/driver updates that changed it for you?
edit: Or maybe you are running amdvlk driver instead of vulkan-radeon (RADV)

Last edited by Xpander on 19 May 2024 at 6:50 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.