Comment Censoring
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Armand Raynal Oct 21, 2014
Hi.

I've seen that there's already one topic about this subject, but it is closed, so I have to open one.

I just wanted to talk to the moderation about it. I would have prefered to talk in private message with liamdawe, but maybe he's not realy concerned.

I posted a comment on the last article wrote by Hamish. I think that I respected those rules :

Quote-No pirate links, we do not support piracy, please buy games and support developers.

-Swearing is 99% not needed, if you keep excessive swearing in comments you can and probably will be banned.

-If you swear in a comment it will remind you to be polite, but you will be able to post after the reminder.

-Linking into the above, try to remain polite and do not attack other commenters or the article author, doing so will result in warnings or bans without a warning.

-Comments that serve to only antagonise an article author can and probably will be removed without warning, repeatedly doing so will result in a ban from commenting.

-Distribution wars that have plagued the Linux community are not welcome here. Bans will occur for people who engage in them or talk down to anyone for their choice.

But it has been deleted. Without even sending me an email about it.

My comment was about the nomination of our favorite OS. In his article Hamish say "Linux", and he is described as an advocate of the free software movement. I simply said that he should say GNU/Linux.

I admit it is a little off topic, but I realy think it is important, and I also don't think I've broke some of the rules.

Well you can say that I've broke this one maybe :
-Comments that serve to only antagonise an article author can and probably will be removed without warning, repeatedly doing so will result in a ban from commenting.

But I swear, it wasn't to only antagonise Hamish, it is truly because I love free(as in freedom) software and try to make it more nown and respected.

So I don't understand why my comment was deleted, and I would appreciate if the moderator that deleted it could explain me why he did so.
Liam Dawe Oct 21, 2014
It was not myself who deleted it, so I can only speak for my personal view here.

That Linux vs GNU/Linux argument is annoying, and people who point it out seem petty. That said deleting a comment is usually only done when it's bad.

I will get the editor who did it to reply.
EKRboi Oct 21, 2014
Quoting: liamdaweThat Linux vs GNU/Linux argument is annoying, and people who point it out seem petty.

^This. I've never seen an overall good response to someone bringing it up. It is one of those arguments that is futile to even bring up most(ALL?) of the time. If someone REALLY is a GNU/Linux die hard such as yourself, they already know the difference and use proper terminology. I for one am a Linux user, NOT GNU/Linux. So when I say Linux, I mean it. I am all for free and open software when it works. For instance I would run the Nouveau drivers if it was an option for me, but it is not. To be clear, I don't consider switching to an AMD GPU an option.

Lastly, (AND THIS IS MY OPINION) GNU/Linux goes out the door the second you install/load ANYTHING that is not fully compilable and usable from the openly available code. If you compiled it yourself or it came precompiled from a distribution I don't think matters as long as the source is openly available and doesn't rely on a closed source firmware blob.

This particular site is about Linux gaming. Most of those games are proprietary, closed source games and Hamish plays them on Linux so he is not a GNU/Linux user either (IN MY OPINION).

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm only posting my opinion. I won't reply to any arguments for or against because as I have said they are simply my opinions and I'm not one to suddenly change my mind anyways.
Hamish Oct 22, 2014
I will raise my hand up for deleting it, mostly because it was completely off topic, but also because I felt that it did fall under the "comments that serve to only antagonize an article author" provision, even if I personally was not really offended by it. That being said, it was in no way relevant to the article, and if you wanted to raise the point with me, you should have done it in a PM. Discussing what is in my biography is in no way what the article comments section is for.
EKRboi Oct 22, 2014
Why are there not "likes" for forum posts? I would "like" Hamish's last post if I could.
Armand Raynal Oct 22, 2014
Thanks for reading and answering guys. I understand now, and admit it is legit.
Speedster Oct 22, 2014
Sensible discussion all around, instead of degenerating into flame war. I <3 GOL

(and welcome to Armand, yay for non-flamey Linux advocates)
Thank you :D
neffo Oct 22, 2014
QuoteMy comment was about the nomination of our favorite OS. In his article Hamish say "Linux", and he is described as an advocate of the free software movement. I simply said that he should say GNU/Linux.

Surely part of the freedom of free software is to call it whatever the hell you want.
Explain that to the foundator of the FSF.
berarma Oct 22, 2014
Quoting: liamdaweThat Linux vs GNU/Linux argument is annoying, and people who point it out seem petty.

Yet someone edited my article submission some days ago changing where I said GNU/Linux by Linux. I want to make a clear distinction between say Debian GNU/Linux and Android, both Linux systems, but someone though differently and changed it.

I don't understand why some members of this site show so much hate against the GNU project and GPL proponents in general, I don't get it. Linux itself uses the GPL2, and your GNU/Linux system is called that way because it runs GNU libraries and support tools. At least Debian uses that name, and it's the only currently known and accepted name to differentiate it from Android and other projects based on the Linux kernel.

I'm not trying to convince you to use that name, but editing the name in my article submission? Come on.

That incident prompted me to make this suggestion: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/624
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.