Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Not exactly good news, on the insurgency game linux version.
tony1ab Nov 9, 2014
Hello everyone. Just want to point 1 thing i discovered, and that some of you may have missed.

I'm very interested in the Insurgency game, since it was my favourite one in the times I used windows. As many of you know, this game was announced for linux too.

The game was released for windows, and mac, but not for linux, and as many of you know, it was stated in one post by the official developers that in order to release the linux version, they would have to wait until a different game, CS:GO, be released first, since both games shared code.

What developers were saying was : at the moment CS:GO for linux is released, Valve will give them the linux code of the Source engine instantly, so they can do the port for Insurgency too. Well, it seems is not going to be so instantly.

Well, as many of you know too, CS:GO was launched for linux recently (couple months ago), and impatiently, I searched on the Insurgency steam forums for some kind of update on the linux status.

Well, after some search, I founded this topic,
http://steamcommunity.com/app/222880/discussions/3/558748653849115414/#p1
in which reply nº51, have a link to a reddit page, where developers have said now a new thing,

reddit page is this
http://www.reddit.com/r/insurgency/comments/2h68vz/linux_client/

Here the developers now says taht not only CS:GO have to be released, but also Valve needs to want to share the code, thing that 'they have been very reluctant to do in the past'.

I dont say the developers are being bad. But they first stated that at the moment CS:GO was released for linux, the sharing of the code was a done thing. And now they say that the sharing of the code is something Valve is 'reluctant' to do.

We though it was going to be soon after CS:GO´s release, and this now emplaces us to wait an undetermined amount of time. Valve could give that code sooner or later.

Some of you may say that Valve wants more games in linux, so they should do the move soon, but i tell you taht this is not a so easy thing.

First, Insurgency is direct competition for CS:GO. And valve wants people playing CS:GO

Second, some time ago, I investigated graphic engines, cos i wanted to enter the game industry, and Valve is not precisely as good as one would want, when giving support of their engine. I mean, In the cryengine and unrealengine 4 engines, you have confirmed full linux official support. But when youre talking about Source, and another old engines with not that specific support, the situation gets blurred.

I hope i'm wrong. But what it is clear is that developers have changed what they said.
First 'wait until CS:GO is released'
Now 'wait until Valve gives us the code'
And that is an unespecified amount of time.

Bad.
Liam Dawe Nov 10, 2014
Thanks, posted it up in an article now.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.